1 Rooster, 9 Hens...Backs Bare

I would give him a bachelor pad.

Just a word of caution: allowing a roo to be so close to his human care givers is ok, until it is not. Allowing him to be in close contact, especially on a shoulder puts him in very close proximity to the face, and those shiny eyes and teeth, and bright red lips. Having a high vantage point gives him a position of dominance. That is a position a roo should never be allowed to have. It's not at all uncommon for a roo who has always been a good boy to go rogue.

I just experienced that myself with my 16 mo. old Buck Eye roo. He's always been a good boy, not human aggressive. I had put him in a bachelor pad, and gave him 2 hens for company. Interestingly, he was more gentle breeding those 2 than he was when he had the flock of 24 hens! Any how, last week, he spurred me. I have no idea what set him off, unless it was my bright orange jammie shorts. No matter what the reason behind this behavior, it is totally unacceptable. I've put him on the @Beekissed "Rooster Speak" behavior rehab program. He's had his one chance (and blown it!). Any other misbehavior will result in him being invited to dinner.

B/C of this recent development, I will be looking for a replacement cockerel among his 2 broods of sons.
I am sorry to hear about your boy! I raised my RIR from birth, and I loved him. But then he became aggressive and attacked me every day! I would just carry a stick and swat him. And then my daughter came to visit with my 2-year-old grandbaby. That rooster ATTACKED HER AND TORE HER FACE ALL UP!!! Needless to say, he is NOT here anymore! I didn't eat him, but I gave him to the Amish and told them I didn't care if they did eat him. I learned a very valuable lesson, if a rooster jumps me ONCE, HE IS OUTTA HERE! Sometimes there just are no second chances.

Back
Top Bottom