1 Rooster per how many Hen's?

It might depend on the Roo: His age (he might be more spunky in his first year and then settle down), temperment (I wouldn't tolerate one if he's a stalker) and his overall treatment of the hens (good protector? Breeds only when they are accepting of him?).

But I would say that 7 hens is good enough distraction for your Roo just taking into account my own Roo and his flock of 9 girls. I think he'd be okay with 7 too. Right now he's going pretty easy on just 3 layers I have right now leaving the other hens be who aren't laying. They say 10 in alot of forums but I think they are referring to fertility of eggs when they say that.

Last edited:
Exactly - the 10/1 ratio is what most folks use to ensure fertility, for hatching eggs. Roosters can actually enjoy many more hens than that.

If you want to ensure fertility, keep it about 10 or 12.

But your 7 should be okay without the rooster over-mating them (this leads to bare-backed hens, so that's why many folks add hens to their small flocks).

Good to know! I have more hens in there with him..but come spring time , will be seperating everyone into their own breed pens. so i need to make sure he could handle all the girls or if ineeded another roo. He is a great flock protector and has grown out to be a big beautiful boy!

I know they can..thats why i got him so many hens. Iv seen some poor hens with scabs on their backs from roosters! ..everyone here seems to be happy,so i think i have the perfect number!

Good to know! I have more hens in there with him..but come spring time , will be seperating everyone into their own breed pens. so i need to make sure he could handle all the girls or if ineeded another roo. He is a great flock protector and has grown out to be a big beautiful boy!
I'd love to see a picture of him....Just love roos....

There he is!!
I am going to pick up a silver spangled hamburg rooster this weekend! And i also have a lavender Orpington Roo but he is still a baby lol

All will have there own runs with their own girls soon!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom