1 Rooster per how many Hen's?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Coupe, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    What would the best number of hens for 1 Rooster? as of now i have 1 roo for my 7 SLW hens.

2. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    It might depend on the Roo: His age (he might be more spunky in his first year and then settle down), temperment (I wouldn't tolerate one if he's a stalker) and his overall treatment of the hens (good protector? Breeds only when they are accepting of him?).

But I would say that 7 hens is good enough distraction for your Roo just taking into account my own Roo and his flock of 9 girls. I think he'd be okay with 7 too. Right now he's going pretty easy on just 3 layers I have right now leaving the other hens be who aren't laying. They say 10 in alot of forums but I think they are referring to fertility of eggs when they say that.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Exactly - the 10/1 ratio is what most folks use to ensure fertility, for hatching eggs. Roosters can actually enjoy many more hens than that.

If you want to ensure fertility, keep it about 10 or 12.

But your 7 should be okay without the rooster over-mating them (this leads to bare-backed hens, so that's why many folks add hens to their small flocks).

4. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    depends on the breed and size like an ameraucana could probably take 5 to 6 and a small bantam i would say around 3 to 4

5. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    Good to know! I have more hens in there with him..but come spring time , will be seperating everyone into their own breed pens. so i need to make sure he could handle all the girls or if ineeded another roo. He is a great flock protector and has grown out to be a big beautiful boy!

6. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    it should be can the hens handle him not the other way around roosters can mate them so much it kills them thats why you need more hens then 1

7. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    I know they can..thats why i got him so many hens. Iv seen some poor hens with scabs on their backs from roosters! ..everyone here seems to be happy,so i think i have the perfect number!

8. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I'd love to see a picture of him....Just love roos....

9. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    [​IMG]
    There he is!!
    I am going to pick up a silver spangled hamburg rooster this weekend! And i also have a lavender Orpington Roo but he is still a baby lol
    [​IMG]
    All will have there own runs with their own girls soon!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  10. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Oh he's Pretty!

I like the looks of that Lavender too!

Thank you for giving me my eye candy for the day. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by