1 sq. foot per bird for chicken coop in a cold climate?

EileneBob

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
Hi everyone, thanks for this forum!

Denver, CO has an Urban Farm Animals (chickens, ducks, dwarf goats) bill pending that will probably pass. But having grown up in Iowa, the specifications for the coop size seem very small, but I will admit I haven't been in a chicken coop since I was 14.

The ordinance specifies only 1 sq. foot per bird for coop/shelter space. What do you all think of that? Denver, while having lots of sunny days, can be pretty cold for stretches at a time, so the birds would be inside all smushed together during cold days. It doesn't seem like enough room for them to stretch their wings, much less do the flapping thing, without starting fights.

My search around the internet suggests 4 ft sq. most often (Humane Society, bird sanctuaries), with a couple of sites saying 'at least 2-3 feet', and one says 2 feet. To me, 2 feeet still seems small, so thought I would post the question on the most knowledgeable forum I could find. Any thoughts?

Hi, hello &
welcome-byc.gif
from Minnesota seems real small to me my birds have 5 sq feet each and i still feel they could use more. even my seramas have just over 3 sq feet each

Maybe they're going by commercial poultry house guidelines - where they pack them in like sardines??? I think that's an insane, inhumane amount of space that will do nothing but cause problems, especially in areas with winter snow.

welcome-byc.gif
from Kansas. 1sqf is what chickens have in commercial chicken places. I would have a minimum of 4sqf in a coop for my chickens. If you live in a colder climate where chickens will spend more time inside I would go with 6-10sqf per chicken. Good luck.

I found a link (that I didn't save) that the commercial space had been 'upgraded' to 18", or 1ft 6", which is what got me concerned about this. Maybe enough room in Southern States, but we have a lot of days that do not get above 40 degrees. Our average temp in the winter is warmer than Iowa or MN, but it still seems small.

Thank you all for all the welcome messages!! I love this forum!

sonew123 - when you say 8-10 feet when not free ranging, I assume that is outdoors? How much space do you allow per bird for indoor / predator proof type shelter?

Quote:
Mine are in a barn -open to them -locked up at night-20 x 20? 20 hens sometimes more:)

I dont have any other animals except some duckies that are in a big indoor pen-so my girls get the run of the place:)

Last edited:
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined.
thumbsup.gif
Most feel about 4sq ft. is good. Mine have more because they don't go out when the snow is on the ground. It keeps the feather picking down.

Back
Top Bottom