1 surviving chicken after dog attack - how long can she be alone?

JuliaCB15

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2023
A dog came into my property, broke into the chicken coop and killed 4 out of 5 of my hens ( 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Cream Leg Bars). Our Buff Brahma survived.
She was the bottom chicken in the pecking order and does not have an independent personality. She hasn’t left the coop yet after the attack 2 days ago.
This was my first flock and I am wondering how long chickens are okay being alone before becoming depressed or worse; if I have time to find her a buddy or if I should find another flock to get her adopted into.
Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions!

A dog came into my property, broke into the chicken coop and killed 4 out of 5 of my hens ( 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Cream Leg Bars). Our Buff Brahma survived.
She was the bottom chicken in the pecking order and does not have an independent personality. She hasn’t left the coop yet after the attack 2 days ago.
This was my first flock and I am wondering how long chickens are okay being alone before becoming depressed or worse; if I have time to find her a buddy or if I should find another flock to get her adopted into.
Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions!
They need to be in a flock.
The first thing to do is predator proof your coop and run. Can you post pictures of it?
How much time that is going to take will dictate what is best for the lone survivor.
Is she eating and drinking at all? In the meantime, you can put a mirror in the coop with her and play a radio softly.

Been there, coons have been my predator, finally have it coon tight. The problem is everything likes to eat or kill chickens.

Your choice - do you still like this hobby? If so, go online, contact some other people around you for at least one chicken. I know a lot of people are going to talk about quarantine, but you are really only risking 1 bird. Don't take anything you feel sorry for. I have done this numerous times and been lucky. Don't get anything from people who go to swaps, or show birds, but someone with a little flock like you should be pretty good.

However, it is not an emergency - a month will not hurt her at all.

Mrs K

They need to be in a flock.
The first thing to do is predator proof your coop and run. Can you post pictures of it?
How much time that is going to take will dictate what is best for the lone survivor.
Is she eating and drinking at all? In the meantime, you can put a mirror in the coop with her and play a radio softly.
She is eating and drinking a little bit when I hold it up to her, even though she can physically eat off the ground and looks alert. When she does eat, it is with good appetite. I don’t think she is I’ll. She has always been the slow chicken (big and heavy) and the bottom chicken, and it almost feels like she can’t decide what to eat on her own. She has just been standing in place for most of the day now, walks a few steps, stands for another hour, sits for another hour. She might have a leg injury but can spread out her wings and does not appear feeble. I think she is depressed. My option to rehome her would be a flock of 3 hens and a Brahma rooster and I’m afraid the rooster will be too rough on her with that ratio. On the other hand, I think she might get sick and stop eating if she’s alone and then I’m at risk of losing her anyway. It’s been 5 nights since the attack.

Been there, coons have been my predator, finally have it coon tight. The problem is everything likes to eat or kill chickens.

Your choice - do you still like this hobby? If so, go online, contact some other people around you for at least one chicken. I know a lot of people are going to talk about quarantine, but you are really only risking 1 bird. Don't take anything you feel sorry for. I have done this numerous times and been lucky. Don't get anything from people who go to swaps, or show birds, but someone with a little flock like you should be pretty good.

However, it is not an emergency - a month will not hurt her at all.

Mrs K
Thank you for the suggestion. She was my most dependent hen and is static most of the day, and looking depressed. I am afraid she might get sick if she remains alone for too long.

Back
Top Bottom