1 week old Buff Polish Not Well

k9lin

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Hi all -

My friend has a one week old Buff Polish, purchased at a local feed store, but supplied from Ideal. She also purchased, she likes a Silkie at the same time. They were in a bin of "Assorted Cresteds". They were purchased as 1-day old's last Wednesday 4/9.

Ate and drank well, and was vigorous and energetic until Monday morning. When she woke up, they were fine. A short while later, the Polish is laying on it's side with labored breathing and it's eyes are half shut. When it tried to get up, it was wobbly, ataxic and just not itself. She went home at lunch, and it was able to eat and drink on it's own, but was obviously lethargic. It wasn't laying on it's side, but standing up, slightly labored breathing.

It was ok through the night (she checked on it often), and then this morning, it appeared like it was having a seizure. It would be standing up, and then it would lay down and stretch it's legs straight out, and close it's eyes. It did this a couple of times, and then try and be upright, but would be wobbly. For the last few hours, the chick remains laying down, and every so often it would stick it's legs straight out.

We called the local feed store - they said no one has reported anything unusual. We called Ideal and they said they hadn't heard anything unusual.

Any ideas? Chicks are in a brooder with a light, and pine shavings, eating medicated chick mash. She did separate the three older (3 weeks old) chicks into another brooder with a light source.

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

So the chicks were with the older birds for a period of time before symptoms showed up? Since both are cresed breeds, by any chance were they pecked on the head by bigger "meaner" birds and sustained brain damage?

I don't think so. The brooder is in the house and my friend was with her chicks all weekend, since her husband was out of town. I saw them on Saturday, and no pecking at all.

Back
Top Bottom