1 week old chick can’t walk

WillowRidgeFarm

Chirping
Oct 8, 2022
I have a one week old chick that stopped walking 2 days ago. It flaps around and sometimes crawls on its legs. 2 days before that it was getting around just fine. I also noticed that all of the chicks have slightly crackly lungs but the other chicks are all acting healthy and normal otherwise. This one will eat and drink when I bring it to the food or water. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 55EFEA8B-2371-4BFA-AD0B-7E90520C7382.jpeg
    55EFEA8B-2371-4BFA-AD0B-7E90520C7382.jpeg
    520.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 937379A2-A1A5-46AE-8667-34E64F16F771.jpeg
    937379A2-A1A5-46AE-8667-34E64F16F771.jpeg
    420.7 KB · Views: 4
Where did the chicks come from, hatched by you, another breeder, feed store or hatchery? Could it have been stepped on onnhurt by the other chicks? I would get some Poultry Cell or PolyVisol without iron baby vitamins, both of which have B2 riboflavin, and give 2 drops daily. Those can give an instant vitamin. Hopefully, you can feed and water it until it recovers use of legs.

I have a one week old chick that stopped walking 2 days ago. It flaps around and sometimes crawls on its legs. 2 days before that it was getting around just fine. I also noticed that all of the chicks have slightly crackly lungs but the other chicks are all acting healthy and normal otherwise. This one will eat and drink when I bring it to the food or water. Any ideas?
Wow. Yours looks exactly like my chick that died yesterday. Not sure if she came with a hurt leg, but we noticed it after a couple days. Flapping and crawling IF she moved at all. I brought the food and water to her, vitamins, etc etc. Separated her from the rest (11 more) because they were starting to pick on her, walk all over her. After a few days she got too weak (and lonely?) and died. 8 days old. I'll never know what she died from or if she was in a lot of pain.

Where did the chicks come from, hatched by you, another breeder, feed store or hatchery? Could it have been stepped on onnhurt by the other chicks? I would get some Poultry Cell or PolyVisol without iron baby vitamins, both of which have B2 riboflavin, and give 2 drops daily. Those can give an instant vitamin. Hopefully, you can feed and water it until it recovers use of legs.
This is a Salmon Faverolle that I purchased from a feed store along with 2 other Faverolles. It’s possible that it got stepped on. There’s 15 chicks in the brooder. The rest of the chicks I hatched at home. I will go get the Poultry Cell today. Thanks!

Be sure to not use Poultry NutriDrench because it doesn’t have the riboflavin B2. Another source is human B complex which has riboflavin, and 1/4 tablet daily can be crushed into a spoonful of water and given with a dropper. Let us know how she gets along. Salmon faverolles are very meek but sweet birds. They are easily bullied by other breeds.

Back
Top Bottom