1 Week Old Chicks in the same brooder as 8 Week Old Chicks

CSDeVault

Songster
5 Years
Feb 18, 2018
Hello!

So I purchased 4 chicks a few weeks ago. They are 8-9 weeks old. I want to purchase a few more. Is it ok to use the same brooder or will I have issues with the older chicks attacking the younger ones? The older chicks are almost ready to be outside without a heat source (I suspect it is already ok but I am somewhat nervous). I only have one heating plate or else I would just do two separate brooders.

I don't know if the older ones will TRY to attack or hurt the little ones, but they will probably hurt the little ones just by stepping on them and playing rough.

You say you have only one heating plate--I suggest you take it away from the big chicks, and use it to set up a second brooder for the new little ones.

(I am assuming that the heating plate has been providing a warm spot, but that some part of the brooder is cooler. I am also assuming that the brooder is somewhere warm enough that water does not freeze. If both of those are true, the big chicks will be fine if you just take away their heating plate.)

The older chicks are almost ready to be outside without a heat source (I suspect it is already ok but I am somewhat nervous).
At 8 weeks they should totally be off heat...and have probably out grown the brooder.
I would not put new chicks in with 8 week olds.
Splitting your coop and using heat plate out there would be good for integration prep.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

Pics of your coop would help here.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1586381464772.png

Apparently four of us were typing all at once :gigI notice we all said pretty much the same thing, too.

At 8 weeks they should totally be off heat...and have probably out grown the brooder.
I would not put new chicks in with 8 week olds.
Splitting your coop and using heat plate out there would be good for integration prep.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

Pics of your coop would help here.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2080769
Ditto!

Back
Top Bottom