1 week old EE sitting down alot

kristen2678

Songster
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
North Berwick Maine
I have a one old Easter Egger who is sitting down alot. She jumps up and runs for food, water, or to avoid the larger Buff Orp. She looks normal in every other way. Does this sound like a problem? I can try to get some video.

As long as she is eating and drinking and walks alright when she is up i would think she is just content. Keep an eye on her though. Good Luck

I agree that this could be normal behavior. She may be more active as she gets older. After all, one week old is just a baby and they do need a lot of rest and sleep.

We have a barred rock that would lay down on her stomach and stretch her neck out and fall asleep while others stepped on and around her. Now she is the first one to jump in our lap, stretch out her neck and fall asleep, enjoying our company.

Be thankful you have a nice quiet chick. As long as she is eating and drinking she is probably fine.
frow.gif

Thanks! I'm nervous everytime they do something that doesn't seem totally normal. Another question. My Orpington is much bigger than the other chicks and is bossing the others around. She is probably 2 weeks old while the others are 1 week. If she is really a HE, when should I expect to see a comb? She has a little nubby tail already. I got them from the feed store but I think they were hatchery sexed by Meyers.

Behavior does not indicate gender. Some of the sweetest birds turn into roosters while aggressive ones can be dominate hens. Because your BO is larger and older, it may just be expressing dominance.

Here is something that might help you when your chicks reach 4 weeks of age, an age when they begin showing a difference in features.

According to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.

I used this at five weeks and it looked like all were pullets even though one was very aggressive toward other chicks. They turned out to all be hens and "meanie" is getting less aggressive as she ages.
Good luck with your chicks. You will be an expert by the time they lay eggs!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom