1 week since introducing pullets to big girls...advice please.

Hummingbird Hollow

Songster
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Colorado mountains
I have 7 hens, all hatched June of 2011. I raised two EE chicks in my garage beginning in December, and after several sessions of having them hang out in the chicken run, separated from the big girls, I decided to take advantage of some warmer weather and integrate them into the flock.

At the one week mark, they are still very timid of the big girls, hanging out in the far corners of the run and running away whenever the big girls approach. At night, when I go to tuck everyone in for the night, I always find the two new pullets roosting outside of the coop on the top of the open pop-door. I've been picking them up and carrying them around to the people-sized door every evening and putting them inside the coop, up on the shelf above the nesting boxes, across from the roosts that the big girls use. They seem to settle down there every night and stay up on their shelf until I let everyone out in the morning.

Any idea on when I might see them actually going into the coop voluntarily? My big girls got the hang of it right away, but I kinda figure that the new girls are afraid to go in.

It'll take them a while. I had to put my last batch of chicks on the roost every night for 2 straight weeks- all 17 of them. Then, finally, I went to shut them in one night and they were in the coop already. At least you only have 2 :D good luck!

It took mine a while too, the small ones would be chased out by the larger chickens, who wanted the best spot in the shade away from draughts. :p Having their brooder (a cardboard box) in the coop for a week or so helped them to get accustomed to going into the coop as they were used to sleeping in their box. After a while, they just started going in automatically at night and the box could then be taken away. Good luuck!

I had a very busy day today and basically only saw my chickens in the morning when I opened the pop door and delivered food and water, and then again when I went up to "tuck them in" for the night. The two new girls were actually inside the coop, up on the shelf...either they stayed there all day or got the hang of coming in by themselves. Sometimes all it seems to take is to ask a question on this forum for the problem to resolve itself...I hope.

Maybe you can put a cardboard partition on the main roost and put them there at night so they get used to the proper roost and are shielded from the big girls.

Do you have a rooster? When he takes interest, he will add them to his flock.

They may just remain flock buddies for a long time and avoid some of the old girls.

Glad to hear that you made some progress. If their little corner does not cause a problem . . . . let well enough alone.

Back
Top Bottom