<1 wk old Baby chicks

Sdisme

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2023
Can anyone tell me which two chics may be my olive eggers? Can decided if it’s the two grey ones or one of the darker brown one with lighter wings…
I know that the two similar brown are my welsummer chicks!!

Attachments

• IMG_0909.jpeg
    IMG_0909.jpeg
    438.1 KB · Views: 36
Can anyone tell me which two chics may be my olive eggers? Can decided if it’s the two grey ones or one of the darker brown one with lighter wings…
I know that the two similar brown are my welsummer chicks!!
How many of what breeds did you get? Where did you get them?

Having the whole list usually makes it easier to match up chicks with breeds, and knowing where you got them may help with figuring out what they are supposed to look like (for example, one hatchery might be selling all-black Olive Eggers, while another may be selling white or black-and-white Olive Eggers.)

How many of what breeds did you get? Where did you get them?

Having the whole list usually makes it easier to match up chicks with breeds, and knowing where you got them may help with figuring out what they are supposed to look like (for example, one hatchery might be selling all-black Olive Eggers, while another may be selling white or black-and-white Olive Eggers.)
So here’s a better pic of the three in question. One is supposed to be a frizzle Easter egger (many not have the frizzle gene)..the other two are olive eggers. Just not sure which is which!
**darker brown one with light wings, the yellow belly gray, and the last on has dot on head but is also a deeper grey color with lighter belly

Attachments

• IMG_0956.jpeg
    IMG_0956.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0954.jpeg
    IMG_0954.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0907.jpeg
    IMG_0907.jpeg
    339.3 KB · Views: 10
So here’s a better pic of the three in question. One is supposed to be a frizzle Easter egger (many not have the frizzle gene)..the other two are olive eggers. Just not sure which is which!
**darker brown one with light wings, the yellow belly gray, and the last on has dot on head but is also a deeper grey color with lighter belly
I'm still a bit puzzled.

The very first photo in the thread shows SIX chicks.
You say two are Welsummers, and you are trying to identify a maybe-frizzle Easter Egger and two Olive Eggers.
What is the sixth chick? Are six chicks the total amount you have?

Depending on what breeds are used in the hatchery breeding flock, any of those colors of chicks could be Olive Eggers, and any could be Easter Eggers. (Of course if any chick grows frizzled feathers, you will know it is your frizzled Easter Egger.)

Where did you get the chicks? If you got them directly from a hatchery, reading the hatchery description might help sort it out. Olive Eggers are often crosses of various breeds, and if the hatchery lists the breeds we may be able to pick out the right colors or look for specific other traits. If you got the chicks from a store, it's not as easy to tell what colors might be Olive Eggers vs. Easter Eggers, but there is the extra possibility that some of the chicks may not be the right kinds (because chicks sometimes get mis-labeled, either by the employees, or by hop themselves into the wrong bin.)

As regards specifically the one with a black back and a yellow dot on the head, it is going to be black with white barring when it grows up. That color certainly can be an Olive Egger (usually with one parent being a Cuckoo Marans parent), but it can also be a Cuckoo Marans or a Barred Rock or a Black Sexlink male or a few other kinds of chick.

Back
Top Bottom