1 wk. old chick panting. Advise, please.

IcedMochaChick

Songster
11 Years
Sep 7, 2008
Nebraska
I have three chicks, I noticed one is panting at times. Should I be worried? I have noticed they all eat like crazy and usually have full crops.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Serama, one week old.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. open mouth panting, rapid breathing.
3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing, that I know of.
5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Eating and drinking, maybe too much?
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. normal
7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?none
8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I'd like to treat it myself, if possible.

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use pine shavings in a brooder (cardboard box) with a heat lamp. Temp. is about 85-90 degrees.

The others aren't panting, and the one is only doing it off and on. I did raise the heat lamp, it's between 85-90* f.
I just checked on them, and they are all acting normal. This is weird.

too hot, the chart I have says the highest temp they need at 7 days is 86 degrees then at day 14 they only need 77 degrees

Ah! Ok, I'll raise their heat lamp again. For some reason, I was thinking they start out at 95* and decrease by 5* per week. It's the biggest chick that's panting, maybe that one is more developed and doesn't need as much heat?

Back
Top Bottom