1 wk Runt Silkie Chick - suspected spraddle leg/curly toes. could be neuro??

Attachments

• IMG_20210518_164937.jpg
    IMG_20210518_164937.jpg
    762.6 KB · Views: 13
not the best photos but just got these while he was having his dinner. he's messy of course, I'm choosing my battles when it comes to cleaning him up, lol. less stress the better.

he's been on egg yolk, flax, fish oil, vitamin B supplements, kefir + chick starter, a bit of oats here and there too. oh and some tuna and salmon when we've eaten it for dinner.

his digestion has been great and his growth has been slow but steady.

his legs used to be much more under him :( since he's grown more they've seemed to have warped more. I'll send a photo of his two siblings also who I got from my friend as well. they are healthy and at their awkward teenage stage.

they are all silkie mixes.
I'm still going to go with 'he' for right now, but he's not old enough for me to be sure. Maybe @CluckNDoodle or @WVduckchick will know what sex he is. Not to be to harsh or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if he died. He is already weakened by his legs, and he may catch something and be too weak to fight it. Although, I wouldn't cull him yet, he seems to be doing fine with you! :hugs

I'm still going to go with 'he' for right now, but he's not old enough for me to be sure. Maybe @CluckNDoodle or @WVduckchick will know what sex he is. Not to be to harsh or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if he died. He is already weakened by his legs, and he may catch something and be too weak to fight it. Although, I wouldn't cull him yet, he seems to be doing fine with you! :hugs
thank you and that's not harsh, don't worry! I agree, I'm honestly in awe that he is still going at this point. I figure I can do my best to keep him comfortable and see how long he lasts. when he was a newly hatched chick he had more normalcy about him.

I really wish I could have helped his little legs. he's a real fighter. he's had two younger buddies (bantam silkies) for company and until I splinted him again after talking to the vet, he was with them happily. In hindsight I kind of wish I had let that be.

thank you and that's not harsh, don't worry! I agree, I'm honestly in awe that he is still going at this point. I figure I can do my best to keep him comfortable and see how long he lasts. when he was a newly hatched chick he had more normalcy about him.

I really wish I could have helped his little legs. he's a real fighter. he's had two younger buddies (bantam silkies) for company and until I splinted him again after talking to the vet, he was with them happily. In hindsight I kind of wish I had let that be.
I wouldn't ever consider culling the little sweetie unless you know you have to. Keep fighting Mumble! :celebrate

here is a photo in his little set up after the vet suggested he stay immobile :

my kids joke that he is my new baby. lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20210511_095921.jpg
    IMG_20210511_095921.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 12
believe it or not, Mumble is still going and managing to get around in his own funny little way. he has been hanging out with our newly hatched babies and taking on a bit of a motherly role as they cuddle under his wings and go to him for comfort!

I took him to the vet who said there is nothing that can be done but the vet said give him a look over and said that he doesn't seem to be in pain so either I choose to put him down or devote a lot of time to his care....

little Mumble has our hearts so putting in the care has not been a difficult choice. he is able to forage in the grass as he hops on one leg. his left leg definitely won't ever be normal but he seems to be learning to function despite that.

he is growing (slowly) and finally feathering nicely as he is learning to balance so he can groom himself.

just wanted to share an update in case anyone was interested or finds this thread in the future while dealing with a similar issue.

he is still getting special attention with his feed (tuna, flax, fish oil, egg) and plenty of vitamins. but he is also able to eat chick feed now too and can even access food and water in the brooder. this has been quite the learning experience and quite the lesson in resilience all around!

Attachments

• IMG_20210611_152808.jpg
    IMG_20210611_152808.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 10
believe it or not, Mumble is still going and managing to get around in his own funny little way. he has been hanging out with our newly hatched babies and taking on a bit of a motherly role as they cuddle under his wings and go to him for comfort!

I took him to the vet who said there is nothing that can be done but the vet said give him a look over and said that he doesn't seem to be in pain so either I choose to put him down or devote a lot of time to his care....

little Mumble has our hearts so putting in the care has not been a difficult choice. he is able to forage in the grass as he hops on one leg. his left leg definitely won't ever be normal but he seems to be learning to function despite that.

he is growing (slowly) and finally feathering nicely as he is learning to balance so he can groom himself.

just wanted to share an update in case anyone was interested or finds this thread in the future while dealing with a similar issue.

he is still getting special attention with his feed (tuna, flax, fish oil, egg) and plenty of vitamins. but he is also able to eat chick feed now too and can even access food and water in the brooder. this has been quite the learning experience and quite the lesson in resilience all around!
Yay! Great job Mumble! The Lord is sustaining him and letting him grow, keep up the good work! 😁

Back
Top Bottom