1 year old chicken, no eggs for last 3 days?

ccstarbuckle

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 28, 2012
Portland, OR
Hi Y'all! Sooo, I have a chicken, wellsummer, just turned 1 year old and for the last 3 days, she hasn't laid any eggs that I have seen. She's a little skittish and not particularly people friendly but she's been laying once a day with the other girls. She's at the bottom of the hierarchy and tends to shy away from me (i'm not gonna lie, I accidently sorta threw a tomato that brushed her when it hit the ground last year). But she doesn't generally squat for me like the other girls. But aside from her avoiding me more than usual, I can't tell if anything is wrong.

They free range during the day, they get a spot of apple cider vinegar in their water, DE in the coop and a little in their feed once in a while, she's not straining with her mouth open like I've read to indicate being egg bound.

Has anyone seen something like this before? She's not molting and has only been laying since February when I put a light in their coop. I've been hunting around for a catch of eggs to no avail either. I'm very confused. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

Maybe she is bummed you did not bake her a cake for her birthday? Mine did not take a break during winter, but lately the egg count has been way down. Chicken strike?

Last edited:
Every time I've had this happen, it's because the hen(s) found a spot in the yard that they preferred to laying in the coop. Search the free-range area-- poke through every low-growing shrub or stand of tall grass-- and you'll find her eggs. She's just hiding them from you! BTW if she's the lowest on the pecking order, that might have something to do with her wanting to lay away from the rest of the flock, I think.

Woo! I've been chopping down blackberry bushes for the last couple days...found a couple really awesome spots they "should" choose but no secret stashes yet... lol She lays our jumbos, and is still too young for free rent! I need to fix this! haha
hu.gif

I must be a pushover...I have yet to keep them in the coop for a whole day since the first two days that they transferred into it. Mostly now, it's because of our loudmouth "MingMing". I swear! That one is a piece of work! If she's not let out by 7:30-8:00 am she broadcasts to the entire neighborhood. Especially on the weekends! And when she lays an egg? I swear we hear about it for at least 20 minutes. lolol #superfun;)

I must be a pushover...I have yet to keep them in the coop for a whole day since the first two days that they transferred into it.  Mostly now, it's because of our loudmouth "MingMing".  I swear!  That one is a piece of work!  If she's not let out by 7:30-8:00 am she broadcasts to the entire neighborhood.  Especially on the weekends!  And when she lays an egg?  I swear we hear about it for at least 20 minutes.  lolol  #superfun;)
hahahahaha! Little attention hog!

The ladies are loafing! I have 4 production reds. I got them when they were 6 months old in February. They start laying 3-4 eggs every day and did so until about 10-14 days ago. Now, I am getting 1-2. I have searched high and low for hidden cache. I feed them 20% protein pellets and let them free range my 1/3 acre lot. They are very comfortable with us. They all will eat out of our hands and come running at high speed if they think there are blueberries to be had. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom