1 year old chicken suddenly can't walk??? Help!!

sdaniellea

Hatching
7 Years
May 15, 2012
I have a backyard chicken, who up until about 3 days ago was extremely healthy. But now all of the sudden it is as if her legs are paralyzed. She can't bear her own weight. I checked her out, no bites, no sores, in fact, when I touch her and was checking her, she didn't even seem to be in pain. Seems perfectly normal. She still eats and is alert and not seeming sick or uncomfortable. She just wont walk or stand on her legs. Her cage is completely enclosed with netting and it wasn't compromised in anyway to say she was biten or attacked, I am clueless. Any one have any advice?

I had a hen that all of a sudden couldn't walk properly, and as she tried, her legs were constantly giving way making her collapse into the sitting position. I had it suggested to me that she was probably calcium deficient. I thought the advice was wrong because I always have a supply of 'oyster shell grit' in the run, but sure enough, I bought some calcium tablets (the type that are usually for dogs), and broke them into small fragments to pop into her mouth. Within two days she was absolutely fine.

Hope this helps

good luck

T Dan

Thanks so much for responding. My poor girl stayed in the sitting position for like two weeks! My husband tried to get her to stand, and held her up to eat and she would peck around while he did this. Funny thing.....she just got better on her own. Not sure what happened to her, like I said there were no signs of injury or anything, so I don't know...but thank goodness and by the grace of god, she got better! yaaaaay!

I had a hen that all of a sudden couldn't walk properly, and as she tried, her legs were constantly giving way making her collapse into the sitting position. I had it suggested to me that she was probably calcium deficient. I thought the advice was wrong because I always have a supply of 'oyster shell grit' in the run, but sure enough, I bought some calcium tablets (the type that are usually for dogs), and broke them into small fragments to pop into her mouth. Within two days she was absolutely fine.

Hope this helps

good luck

T Dan
Same with my year old RIR today.. I give them back their egg shells. Can I give human grade calcium?

My cockerel had the same problem when he was just a few weeks old. I got advice elsewhere that he could have pulled a tendon or something similar in his leg from jumping down from his roosts. I was told to bring him inside where the others couldn't pounce on him, and give him a massage. I did it for about an hour, slowly working his leg and extending it, put him back outside, and every half hour or so would go out and give him a mini massage. By the next day he was walking and running just fine. Maybe your chickie had pulled something, too? 🤔😊

My cockerel had the same problem when he was just a few weeks old. I got advice elsewhere that he could have pulled a tendon or something similar in his leg from jumping down from his roosts. I was told to bring him inside where the others couldn't pounce on him, and give him a massage. I did it for about an hour, slowly working his leg and extending it, put him back outside, and every half hour or so would go out and give him a mini massage. By the next day he was walking and running just fine. Maybe your chickie had pulled something, too? 🤔😊
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom