1-Year-Old Khaki Campbell (Female) Duck Has Lost Ability To Walk

beachyburrow

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2022
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
We have a 1 year old female Khaki Campbell duck. She has always seemed slightly smaller than the other female we have.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She has lost use of her legs on land, and is moving around on her stomach and using her wings to walk/move around. When she is laying down, she spreads her wings outwards. These don't necessarily look like "angel" wings - but laid out in a cross position.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
We just noticed this about 3 days ago. Prior to this, we thought she had a slipped tendon, as she would limp around. We separated her from the rest of the ducks, and have had her caged off for over a month and a half. Her leg improved and she was about ready to go back out with the rest of the ducks and then we all of a sudden noticed that she wouldn't stand up. She also has her tail bent downwards and to the side.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No other ducks are displaying the same symptoms. They are all on the same feed, and free range in the same areas.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
We have no idea. We thought it might be a niacin deficiency and have been adding in extra brewers yeast. We are looking into B complex additives, but are really unsure what the issue is. We have researched that it could possibly be worms, but have been advised to not treat with antibiotics or de-wormer unless we know for a fact that is the issue.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Her normal feed and water - her appetite is the same, but we have to move the food and water to her.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
No blood in poop - no runny stool. No worms.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
We have her separated from the other ducks and have been adding brewer's yeast to her food. We are unsure what the actual culprit is, so are not sure what plan of action to take moving forward.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
We are hoping to treat this ourselves, as any issues we have had in the past we were able to diagnose and treat. But this is not something we have experienced before. We do not have any vets around us that will treat fowl. We are trying to weigh out our options as we love this sweet girl and do not like to see her in this pain.

Can you please send a current photo of the bottom of her feet?

I know you don’t think she has anything going on injury/ bumblefoot wise.... but sometimes they have a low pain tolerance and respond to even a small spot as if they were dying lol

While she has been separated, what kind of footing has she been on?
What kind of coop/ overnight space?

You can also upload a video to YouTube or rumble and post a link here of her trying to move, if you can.

The more info you can share, the more we can help!
(And thank you for doing such a great job w the “standard questions!! ....I just feel like there may be something else happening here - )

**I wanted to respond to this thread incase anyone was experiencing the same with their ducks. I did some research and acted upon my better judgement. We kept her separate for 2 months, and administered b12 complex every day with her feed. She eventually made a full recovery and is back with the flock and is as happy as can be.

Thank you so much for coming back with an update, and, I’m so happy she is doing well!!!
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom