Hen is Lethargic, Weak, Feathers Fluffed

OliveChickens1

Hatching
Jan 10, 2024
Hello!
Currently dealing with a 1.5yr old Olive Egger that is exhibiting lethargy, weakness, panting and loose/water stools with white streaks. We found her in the coop today sitting on the ground after work so symptoms have been present for around 18 hours. No others in our flock are showing any symptoms. Doesn’t appear to have any mites and quick finger check did not reveal a bound egg. She has not laid since her molt about a month ago. Unsure of what to treat for. Any help?

Welcome to BYC. I would try to give her a calcium citrate with vitamin D tablet orally in case she is having a reproductive disorder. Tums or other calcium will work as a substitute. Does any part of her dropping look like egg white or yolk? Can you offer some water with sugar or electrolytes? Cooked egg or some watery chicken feed might be accepted. How does her crop feel—empty, full, firm, doughy, or puffy soft? Is her tail position down or up? I would observe her closely overnight, and keep her in a dog crate with food and water close by.

Welcome to BYC. I would try to give her a calcium citrate with vitamin D tablet orally in case she is having a reproductive disorder. Tums or other calcium will work as a substitute. Does any part of her dropping look like egg white or yolk? Can you offer some water with sugar or electrolytes? Cooked egg or some watery chicken feed might be accepted. How does her crop feel—empty, full, firm, doughy, or puffy soft? Is her tail position down or up? I would observe her closely overnight, and keep her in a dog crate with food and water close by.
Thank you for the tips!!! None of the droppings look to be egg yolk or white. She has no interest in eating. I’ve been giving her water with electrolytes via syringe. Her crop is empty and tight and her tail is down. She doesn’t attempt to stand anymore, just is laying with her legs spread out (one left and one right). We have her inside for observation.

Getting her hydrated and some food in her could help, but I would also try some vitamin E 400 IU and 1/4 tablet daily for neurological symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom