Lethargic bantam hen

whiteoakfarms

Hatching
Feb 24, 2024
Hi all - been lurking this forum for a few years now, and the advice from this community has helped me save several sick birds in the past. Finally making an account because I'm completely stumped. One of our bantam hens has started acting very lethargic as of this morning, but has no outward signs of sickness or injury. This is making it very hard to decide on treatment for her. Hopefully some of yall can help figure this out.

1) What type of bird , age and weight
Phoebe is a gold duckwing phoenix bantam, about 6-7 years old. She is under a pound (so small its hard to weigh her!) But doesn't seem to have lost any weight recently.

2) What is the behavior, exactly
When we checked on our flock this morning, she was acting very lethargic. She just sits in one place, looking around at everything but not moving. She allows herself to be picked up which is NOT normal for her at all.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Less than a few hours.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
None at all.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Also none - physical exam shows no injury, but a blocked vent and empty crop

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Don't know of anything, no incidents lately.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Does not seem interested in eating or drinking, unsure if I should "force" her. (have fed sick chickens with a syringe in the past)

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Poop looks normal - semi solid, brownish green color. Wish I'd got a picture before I cleaned her off, but it was initially blocking her vent when I picked her up.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Cleared her vent of any waste, brought her up to the house to keep an eye on her. Haven't administered anything because I want a better idea of what could be wrong first.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Unfortunately, no vets in my rural area actively treat birds. Have treated multiple sick birds back to health entirely on my own and am hoping I can turn this one around too.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Attached a picture of her in our living room. She seems more active since she got here - very curious about this strange new place!

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Quickly fixed up a plastic bin with straw bedding. Has worked just fine as a "chicken hospital" in the past.

Hoping someone on here has some ideas of where to start. Can provide more info if needed.

Attachments

• 20240224_132007.jpg
    20240224_132007.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 21
Welcome To BYC

Does Phoebe still lay eggs?
If she does and hasn't laid her egg like she should, then I'd give her Calcium. Calcium Citrate with D3 once daily for a few days.

You mention she had a blocked vent - do you mean she just had a messy bottom from sitting/getting poop on her or was this more like constipation/stuck poop inside the vent that you had to remove?

Her crop is empty, so she's not had anything to eat or possibly drink. I'd work on getting her hydrated first, then offer her food. A little sugar water or electrolytes to start, then give some plain water once she's drinking.
Wet or dry feed, tidbits of egg, sardines, etc. see if you can interest her.

She's a little thing isn't she! Not sure what's going on with her. At 6-7years of age, her age may be affecting her some too, but not always.

Does she seem able to see o.k.? You've looked her over for injury, did you happen to see any evidence of lice or mites?

Back
Top Bottom