1 year old silky never once laid an egg

Anime2lover

Keeper of tiny dinos
Apr 17, 2019
My silky hen is a year old this summer. She hatched early last summer and has never once laid. Our other two silky hens have been laying daily since mid fall without fail, so why has this one not yet laid her first egg??

My silky hen is a year old this summer. She hatched early last summer and has never once laid. Our other two silky hens have been laying daily since mid fall without fail, so why has this one not yet laid her first egg??
Your sure she is not a he? Other than that, maybe keep waiting she may be late

Your sure she is not a he? Other than that, maybe keep waiting she may be late
Yes. We've examined her multiple times over with that same question in mind. She has never once crowed, acted like a too, no tail feathers like our other two silky roos of the same brood, nor has she tried to mount anyone in any way or acted like a roo. She does however sit in a box around egg laying time, let herself be mounted, come for the rooster's food call ect.

There could be several causes. She could just be a very late bloomer. Her ovary could be damaged, in which case she will never lay. She could be some sort of intersex that is sterile. She could have some hidden problem inside, like a damaged or low functioning internal organ. Since your other females are doing well, I wouldn't change anything. It's just wait and see, or you could give her to someone as a pet.

Back
Top Bottom