1 yo hen with diseased eye in danger of being killed by rooster

QChickieMama

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 1, 2011
One of my buff orpington hens has a problem with one eye. Problem surfaced about a month ago. She's been hiding and roosting more to avoid the other 6 hens in her pen. When they free-ranged today, the huge usually gentle rooster tried to kill her. She was submissive but he picked her up by the neck and shook her. I could separate her into a tiny pen but then what? Idk how to help her eye. It's just cloudy and she keeps the one good eye facing me. Do I need to put her down?

It would help if you could post a picture of both eyes.

In the mean time, yes, please do separate her from the others. She needs to be close by so she can see and hear them and they her but as long as she is in danger from them, especially the rooster, you need to protect her.

Her left eye is the good one; her right eye is bad. The lower eyelid seems to cover part of the eye and she can't see out of it.

Attachments

• tempImageY0dm4S.png
    tempImageY0dm4S.png
    4 MB · Views: 9
  • tempImagep7kmkC.png
    tempImagep7kmkC.png
    3 MB · Views: 8
Her left eye is the good one; her right eye is bad. The lower eyelid seems to cover part of the eye and she can't see out of it.
It looks like at some point the upper lid has been torn. Hard to tell, but the eye may be lost. Could have been a peck to the eye.
If you can get clearer photos that may be helpful.

I would separate her if he's attacking her. She may have something going on with her. A rooster can suddenly turn mean or he may be trying to drive her from the flock because of perceived illness/weakness. Keep watch on him, if he starts to turn on other hens, then he needs to go. How old is this rooster and this hen?

For her eye, you can clean it with saline, then put a touch of Terramycin eye ointment in the eye or original neosporin.

Does she lay eggs? Any bloat/swelling or fluid of the abdomen? Lice/mites? Crop emptying overnight?

I've separated her. I do think the rooster was trying to take her out due to her injury--he's been the biggest and most gentle rooster I've had.

She's not laying right now. I don't see evidence of any other health issues except her comb has dark spots on it.

I'll give her some time to see if the eye wants to heal, and then if she can't rejoin the flock, I'll have to cull her. Living isolated is not the way to live.

Back
Top Bottom