10 + 2 Golden Coment Hatching eggs NPIP "Auction"

No they're not Golden Comets. The point of Golden Comets, or Red Stars, or Black Stars, or other hybrid types, is that they are sex linked at hatch. Not only do they lay really well, as you have found, but they can be sexed at hatch. They are produced, as Fred said, from 2 totally separate breeds. If you keep them and breed them back, you've lost the initial sex linking and hybrid vigor. You probably have some very nice excellent brown egg layers (I detest the term "mutt" for chickens) that will probably produce some more really good egg layers, because of their good genetics behind them, but they wont be any particular breed. Just good old barnyard hard working brown egg layers. Why dont you try and cultivate local interest in your extra eggs? I sell out of my eating eggs every single day. People love them.

The hatcheries use a Red(gold) male over a white (silver) female and make chicks which can be sexed at birth. This technique is called "sex link" because the feather tell you what sex they are. This only occurs the first time. Subsequent generations are just blended in color and can no longer be "sex linked", or sexed at hatched.

The first cross. The hatcheries give them fancy, made up names, like Cinnamon Queen or Golden Comets. They are not official names, just hatchery names, as these are not "breeds", merely a one time cross or hybrid. There is no breed called Golden Comet, sorry.

If you breed those birds again, as the farmer did and as you are doing, they are merely mutts. They are no longer Golden Comets. They are no longer sex linked at hatch. Good mutts, perhaps good laying mutts, but still mutts. If it were me? I'd call them gold production hens. Show the photo, as you do, and let it go at that. Interested people can buy them if they wish.

Last edited:
I absolutely love my golden comets, they lay the biggest eggs most consistently and eat less than my other birds. For egg laying chickens they are the best. With that being said, im going to explain what i learned while researching them. The golden comet is one if the varieties of a sex link, but a golden comet can only be first generation offspring because it is the combination of two different breeds. Following is a definition stolen from another site.

Golden Comets are not a true breed of chicken but they are a sex linked cross breed. They are specifically designed so that the chicks can be sexed as soon as they hatch. Male Golden Comets are a soft yellow color when they are born and the females are light red in appearance. A cross between a New Hampshire and a White Plymouth rock will give you a Golden Comet bird. This breed has not been given recognition by the Poultry Association.

I hope this helps, I have numerous names for the eggs of my comets, scrambled, sunnyside up, poached, deviled, etc.

Ok, I'm really confused now. If my birds are Golden Comets they lay eggs. So what are their babies called? Aren't they still golden comets? Can someone explain that to me?

Both Red and Black Sex-Links use a red male for the father. Either a Rhode Island Red or a New Hampshire may be used.

Black Sex-Links are produced using a Barred Rock as the mother. Both sexes hatch out black, but the males have a white dot on their heads. Pullets feather out black with some red in neck feathers. Males feather out with the Barred Rock pattern along with a few red feathers. Black Sex-Links are often referred to as Rock Reds.

Red Sex-Links are the result of various crosses. White Rocks with the silver factor (the dominant white gene would produce all white offspring) are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Golden Comet. Silver Laced Wyandotte crossed with New Hampshire gives the Cinnamon Queen. Two other crosses are obtained with Rhode Island White x Rhode Island Red, and Delaware x Production Red or Rhode Island Red. These two crosses are simply called Red Sex-Links. Males hatch out white and, depending on the cross, feather out to pure white or with some black feathering. Females hatch out buff or red also depending on cross, and they feather out in one of three ways.

Buff with white or tinted undercolor (such as Golden Comet, Rhode Island Red x Rhode Island White)
Red with White or tinted undercolor (Cinnamon Queen)
Red with Red undercolor (Delaware x Production Red or Rhode Island Red) (In this color pattern it is almost impossible to distinguish daughters' color from father's color.)

I have bred Rhode Island Red males with Delaware female and the female chicks look like the Rhode Island Red and the male chicks look like the Delaware. Also I have done a Rhode Island Red male with Barred Rock females which produces Black Sex-Links.

Golden Comets, RSL, and ISA Browns are a sex link cross between a RIR Rooster x Delaware, Rhode Island White, or White Rock Hens. If the cross is 1 Generation the chicks can be sexed by color. Males are mostly white and females are mostly red. If the Chicks that hatch from the original cross grow and the chick they they will produce will not be the same as the 1st cross. They are not a true breed but they still will make chickens that lay eggs. They are more just a barn yard chicken after the first cross. The 1st generation are great layers also!

Nate

Golden Comets, RSL, and ISA Browns are a sex link cross between a RIR Rooster x Delaware, Rhode Island White, or White Rock Hens. If the cross is 1 Generation the chicks can be sexed by color. Males are mostly white and females are mostly red. If the Chicks that hatch from the original cross grow and the chick they they will produce will not be the same as the 1st cross. They are not a true breed but they still will make chickens that lay eggs. They are more just a barn yard chicken after the first cross. The 1st generation are great layers also!

Nate

So true...

So, I was wondering what if you cross a White Leghorn hen with a Rhode Island Rooster? Just wondering if the cross is close to a golden comit or dose it have to be a NH? I love my golden comets too. They are laying such great big eggs! I have a the hen and rooster above, what do you get when crossed there. Or how about a Delaware hen and RI rooster?

Probably best to take your question to a thread of your own making? As soon as you post it, you'll get lots of good answers, including my own,
smile.png

Last edited:
So, I was wondering what if you cross a White Leghorn hen with a Rhode Island Rooster? Just wondering if the cross is close to a golden comit or dose it have to be a NH? I love my golden comets too. They are laying such great big eggs! I have a the hen and rooster above, what do you get when crossed there. Or how about a Delaware hen and RI rooster?

It would not be a "Sex Link". White is a dominate trait. It would probably look like a mainly white chicken with a little red in it and probably lay a white egg.

Nate

You could experiment and hatch some eggs from the cross and see what you come up with. I have crossed RIR males with Delaware females and the female chicks look like RIR's and the male chicks look like the Delaware. Also I have crossed RIR's with RIW's and the female chicks look like the Golden Comets, RSL, and ISA Browns. The male chicks are white. I am now crossing the RIR/Delaware females with a RIR male.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom