10-day-old Chick Breed Identification Help

TheFrogLady

Songster
Apr 18, 2020
Northeast Ohio
Anyone want to help me guess breeds? I ordered the following: Easter Egger, Lakeshore Egger, Speckled Sussex, Buff Brahma, Buff Orpington, and a Meyer Meal Maker (free mystery chick). I have definitely identified the Easter Egger (such a cute little beard!), the Buff Brahma, and the Buff Orpington. But the other three are confusing me.

Here are all the girls together:

IMG_20210603_113556.jpg

The Easter Egger is in the back right corner. The chick directly to the left of her is the Buff Brahma. The Buff Orpington is in the middle, kind of blurry. The other three are the ones that are confusing me, so here are some close-up pictures.

IMG_20210603_113628(1).jpg

I think unidentified Chick #1 here is probably the Lakeshore Egger. Her legs are darker, and she is feathering out white. But she had a slight buff-colored chipmunk stripe when we first got her, so she's not going to be a completely white chicken.

IMG_20210603_113712.jpg

Is this Chick #2 the Speckled Sussex, then? Pink legs, light brown, and she has some speckling on her wing which you can see in the first picture of all 6 of them (she's the one by the green feeder in that picture).

So who is this Chick #3, then? I was thinking she was another Easter Egger or a Lakeshore Egger. She has pure yellow legs, though, and no beard. She had a definite brown chipmunk pattern as a chick, but now she's getting some black to her coloring. Anybody have any guesses? If she's the Mystery Chick she could be literally anything. The rarer breeds from Meyers come with leg bands, so it's probably not anything too exotic. Meyer also promises that they match their Meal Maker chicks to your geographic location, so it'll be a cold hardy bird (which should rule out Leghorns).

IMG_20210603_113739.jpg

I agree with your guesses. This last one could be many breeds including brown leghorn and cream leg bar.
Your little white one may very well stay white, even though she had a stripe in her down. 😊
Thank you! I'm new at this, so it's good to have some feedback on my guesses.

Meyer says they band their Leg Bar chicks, so I don't think it would be that. I hope it isn't a Leghorn. They promised me a cold-hardy bird.

Thank you! I'm new at this, so it's good to have some feedback on my guesses.

Meyer says they band their Leg Bar chicks, so I don't think it would be that. I hope it isn't a Leghorn. They promised me a cold-hardy bird.
You are welcome. 😊

Well, sometimes the hatcheries do not band them and sometimes they send whatever they have, so you may be surprised. 😊

You are welcome. 😊

Well, sometimes the hatcheries do not band them and sometimes they send whatever they have, so you may be surprised. 😊
Do you know when Legbars get their crest? It almost looks like she has a little tuft starting on the top of her head already. I might be imagining it, though.

I can't wait to see how these ladies feather out! Last year was our first batch of chicks, but we got noticeably different colors to make sure we knew who was who. This year we were a little more adventurous! 😄

Do you know when Legbars get their crest? It almost looks like she has a little tuft starting on the top of her head already. I might be imagining it, though.

I can't wait to see how these ladies feather out! Last year was our first batch of chicks, but we got noticeably different colors to make sure we knew who was who. This year we were a little more adventurous! 😄
Usually start to see it around 3-4 weeks. Could also be one of their Olive Eggers that are derived from crested cream leg bars. They look very similar as chicks. Other options could be Welsummer. 😊

Usually start to see it around 3-4 weeks. Could also be one of their Olive Eggers that are derived from crested cream leg bars. They look very similar as chicks. Other options could be Welsummer. 😊

Yours is either an olive egger or leg bar and the meal maker they do not band. Mine is an olive egger and I had such a hard time telling it apart from the speckled Sussex. The eye line is what helped.
I just saw your link on that other thread! Thanks so much for posting it. I had no idea that they kept a list.

I'm pretty happy with either of those, honestly. Very cool! My Sussex is much more yellow and brown than the Meal Maker chick is. I don't know if that points to Olive Egger or Legbar. It'll be interesting to see what they end up looking like!

Back
Top Bottom