10 day old chick with bulging vent

alisch

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2021
One of my chicks is straining and chirping when trying to poop her vent is red and really pops out when she pushes. She did have a small hard poop stuck the other day now that I think of it. I added probiotic water and electrolyte water, warm bath 2 times today, dried, warm compresses, some vaseline, a couple drops of olive oil orally, and I tried 2 enemas and she was actually able to get a small strand out. I have been offering sugar water and plain water. Is there anything else I should do? She was sort of pecking at food this afternoon, drank some water this morning. When she tries to push the poop out there is a small yellow/white strand that come partially out. I was able to use a q tip and gently wipe some away and it was super sticky. I don't want to lose her, this has been happening for about 24 hours. Help please!

Attachments

• 20210411_124122.jpg
    20210411_124122.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 18
If poo is stuck you can run her abdomen to try and get her to pass it. Rubbing oil on her vent can sometimes helps too. I know stimulation helped my chick to push more. So maybe stimulating the vent and rubbing the abdomen might help her to pass the tough bit.

It’s tough when a chick is constipated. But that sounds exactly like a silkie I had earlier last month. Unfortunately my chick didn’t make it but I didn’t have all the information I have now. I realized too late that my chick was constipated.

If poo is stuck you can run her abdomen to try and get her to pass it. Rubbing oil on her vent can sometimes helps too. I know stimulation helped my chick to push more. So maybe stimulating the vent and rubbing the abdomen might help her to pass the tough bit.

It’s tough when a chick is constipated. But that sounds exactly like a silkie I had earlier last month. Unfortunately my chick didn’t make it but I didn’t have all the information I have now. I realized too late that my chick was constipated.
I figured if she isn't doing well anyway I would take a curved pipette and try to dig some out and man did it stink! But I did get some, she is exhausted. I have been offering electrolyte water and plain water regularly , and sugar water every once in a while. She seems to be holding on and I saw here drink out of the waterer on her own! I am hopeful, but idk. Thanks for the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom