10 month old, barred rock rooster has pale, bent comb

Mistols

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 10, 2009
Kaysville, UT
I just noticed my barred rock rooster's comb is pale and tilted. Normally for him it is a rich red and stands straight up. I remember reading that this is a sign for malnutrition. Is that right? It is also cold here. It has been below freezing and snow on the ground but I haven't babied them with a heater.

Please let me know what I should do. Thank you.

Does he show any other signs of illness? One thing you may want to keep an eye out for (since his comb is flopping down) is frostbite. If his comb dips into the water while he drinks, he'll be subject to frostbite.

Yes. After I inquired about the comb my kids informed me that his "vent" (am I using that term correctly?) or rear has feces covering it. He does not jump up at night to roost lately, too. And is it normal for them not to crow in the winter? Sorry so many questions. But obviously, we are very new to chicken raising and the cold and snow make me nervous.

IN the past few months we would notice that his comb looked scabbed over and had been bleeding but couldn't find a source, but this happened before the cold weather, too.

Thanks, M

Has he been wormed? Worms & mites are often one of the main reasons that chickens start feeling sick and become anemic etc. What has his stool looked like. Has he lost weight, listen to his chest under the wing, any crackles? What does he eat.....

We got 8 chickens as pets at a feed store and so he had whatever basics medicine before then. Not sure if the worming was included in that. I will check for the other symptoms. How do I find out if Utah has the same service for Backyard Chickens like California?

He sounds sick and worms could be the problem. I would separate him from the others and keep an eye on his stool. Call the vets in your area and see if any of them will let you bring a fecal sample in for a float (whatever you do, avoid taking the bird in there... then they will charge you a service charge, on top of whatever else and the sky is the limit on the price). Just the float will be no more than $20.
In my signature line, there is a link to my BYC page for California residents. If you click on that, I actually have a phone number that residents outside of California can call to find a state vet.
How long ago did you get him? Sounds like you got him as a chick and now he's an adult, so it wouldn't hurt to worm all of them again.
Do you have access to a feed store that sells wormer?

Well, I was too late. We came home and found him dead. I will check my other birds for the same problem and should I get wormer for them all?

Chalk this down for experience.

This may seem like a dumb question but is there a proper way to dispose of him other then burying him?

Back
Top Bottom