10 month old chickens not laying for the past 2 months-no obvious explanation

Cricketnd

Chirping
Apr 19, 2018
Central Florida
Hi, my daughter and I have 4 chickens-an EE, a barred rock, a buff orp, and a RIR. All but the EE started laying eggs in June/July and were laying for a couple of months. We live in Central Florida, and as the temps rose, they slowed egg production quite a bit. Then the EE started laying (I know because the eggs are green and all the others are brown), and she laid for a few weeks. Now, none of them have been laying for a couple of months. I thought once the temps dropped into the 80s they would start laying again but they have not. I do not see any signs of disease or stress. We just got them an extra run for more space but this was just 2 weeks ago. There are some loose feathers but not a ton; the buff looks like she may be molting a bit as her feathers are lighter in certain areas but no bare spots. Any thoughts other than the norm? None of the usual explanations of heat, stress, shorter days, molting or disease seem to fit. Thanks all!

Last edited:
They are probably molting. Most chickens over 9-12 months will molt in the fall. The decreasing daylight triggers molts and the slowing and stopping of production. They should resume in early spring if not sooner. Feeding a higher protein ration can help them molt and recover quickly.

Some EE aren't very productive either and will take breaks throughout the season.

They are probably molting. Most chickens over 9-12 months will molt in the fall. The decreasing daylight triggers molts and the slowing and stopping of production. They should resume in early spring if not sooner. Feeding a higher protein ration can help them molt and recover quickly.

Some EE aren't very productive either and will take breaks throughout the season.

Thank you! I hope that's the case!

Back
Top Bottom