10 month old RIR hen, listless, combs not very red, moves very slowly

MarshallChicks

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
We only have 2 hens, they live in a wooden coop but spend most of the daytime outside in the yard. We feed them layer mix food along with oatmeal and fruits and vegetables. Their water is changed at least twice a day. We use pine shavings from the feed store for their bedding. The smaller of the two chickens started acting strange about 2 days ago. She is usually very active and runs around the yard when I try to put her inside the coop. Recently she has been moving very slow, does not try to get away from me and does not seem to peck at the ground and bushes like she normally would do. She seems to be eating and drinking normally but has not been laying eggs for the last 3 days. Her combs seem kind of floppy and are not as red as normal. She also has a bit of poo on her bottom. Does not seem as clean as she always has been. We really love our hens and are very worried. If anyone has any suggestions, we would be most grateful.

Check her vent (bottom) and make sure it is not clogged, clean away the poo with warm water if it is. Is she eggbound? Feel her abdomen and see if it feels unusually firm. It should be soft and squishy. If she might be eggbound, search for treatment under Search for threads that discuss this, there will be plenty. Feel her crop in her chest and make sure that does not feel impacted. Let us know what or if you find anything...Hope this is some help or a step in some direction....

Last edited:
I'm going to go out and check on these things right now, how do I check the crop? Where is is and what should it feel like? Sorry, we are new to raising chickens and I don't know much at all. Thanks so much for your help!

The symptoms you describe could be cocciodosis which is an intestinal parasite...weight loss, lethargy, pale comb. The good news is its treatable by adding a sulfa drug such as Sulfadimethoxine or Sulfamethazine to their drinking water. Your feed store should have it in stock as cocciodosis affects other farm animals. I had 7 hens infected by the parasite this summer and all recovered in a week to 10 days after treatment. Good luck.

Her crop is in front (her chest area) if she has been eating, it will feel like a little baggie full of feed. If its empty, you won't really feel it. If its impacted, it will feel too firm. But I also agree it could be coccidia or some other parasite. Wormers can be found at most feed stores.

She doesn't seem to be having trouble with the crop. I'm off to the feed store to try to get her some medicine. Thank you for your help!

Does anyone know if chicken illnesses are dangerous to humans? My 7 year old will not stop holding the sick hen.

She seems a little more like herself today. She's moving a little faster and seems to be pecking around more than she has the last couple of days.
I went to the feed store yesterday to get her some medicine, and the girls there recommended Oxytetracycline. This is not the name of the meds I have read about on this board. Does anyone know if this medicine will do our little hen any good? They also recommended Pedialyte, which I have given her today. We gave her a bath yesterday and cleaned off her bottom. She is a little dirty again this afternoon. Thank you so much for all of your help. I really do appreciate it.

Use of antibiotics without knowing what she has is not a good idea. She's a bit old for cocci, but they CAN get it at this age. If she's acting more normally today, I'd just watch her closely at this point. She could have eaten a plant that was mildly toxic, and is getting over it...could be so many things. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom