10 Most Common Silkie Questions....

Quote:
ep.gif

I have one trying to hatch a golf ball right now. I'm sure a door knob is not out of the question!

Quote:
My silkies get along with my standard birds just fine.. Although everyone warned me not to put them in with the more aggresive birds, i took a chance and all is good.
smile.png
But if you wanted to be safe i would put them in with other bantams.

What color would this silkie be? I recently purchased some eggs from a breeder and this was one of their silkies, I don't think it's molted yet though, or at least not completely...
silkie.jpg

Any non-standard colour that is in the progress of development can be rare. Reds are pretty uncommon; greys aren't too common; a REAL birchen would be very uncommon as would BBRed. Likewise a REAL porcelain.

I have a question. I just purchased hatching eggs, father is a silkie, mothers are silkies and frizzles. what color eggs do silkies lay?
(then I can figure out which are silkie eggs and which are not)

Frizzle isn't a breed; it's a variation to the feathers, and can occur (and is recognised) in any breed. If you mean cochin, which is probably the most common frizzled breed, their eggs are virtually the same size and colour as silkie eggs. However, if both mama & papa are silkies, the babies will be silkie feathered. If only papa is a silkie, the babies will inherit a copy of the gene, but will not have silkied feathers. So, that will tell you which is which, just not from the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom