10 pound hen taken by bobcat/mountain lion

Quote:
Oh I know what cat's can do, but the area I saw the feathers trail through was 1 foot of space. I couldn't imagine a full grown mountain lion squeezing through. Maybe a juvenile?

It was a 1 foot area, oh my anything could have went through... esp chupacobra

Last edited:
Quote:
You have the honor of working with those animals, kudos to you and what a cool job, I was thinking too it could be a mt.lion, he!! in that country it could be the elusive chupacobra:th
but for the sake of the victim, i am gonna try to keep convicing em its a bobcat

haha I can't stand for it! SO not a bobcat! At least, not in my humble (though educated) opinion! I vote chubacobra!

And yes, it is truely an honor to work with such absolutely amazing, and utterly misunderstood animals...these guys are scary intellegent, and form such amazing bonds with one another...we once had a kit escape, and it took us a month to catch it...even after all that time, when we reunited him with his sister, you would have thought bobcats could cry...they were SO close after that. One NEVER left the other's side.

Agreed, my neighbor's 15 year old cat will come to us when his owners aren't there to let him inside. He first yells at us, then cuddles us, as if attempting to bribe us!

Sometimes we're not sure if we should let him back in. One time we called the owner to see if it was OK and they said they kicked him out because he pooped on the carpet. Apparently he was angry he didn't get as much attention so to show is anger he pooped where he knew he wasn't supposed too. Now that's what I call smart!

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh I know what cat's can do, but the area I saw the feathers trail through was 1 foot of space. I couldn't imagine a full grown mountain lion squeezing through. Maybe a juvenile?

Exactly! the claw marks were so big but it squeezed through a tiny space with a ten pound orpington. What kind of animal is that!?

And I don't get that it left so much evidence. If there wasn't so much underbrush we could have tracked the culprit to it's den! This is something to ponder about. Maybe the animal was spooked and was running as fast as it could!

Last edited:
Quote:
well, we have had a lot of people claim to have bobcat/domestic hybrids, but we have yet to verify any of them. However, I would not put it past a bobcat to TRY. We have many "barn cats" at the facility, some of them have even become surrogate siblings for our orphan bobs. Bobcats are extremely social, and many single babies sucumb to capture myopathy and will die without the company of another, but they are also pretty suceptable to certain diseases, so we have to adhere to strict quarantine, and can't always provide another baby bob. SO, our domestics step in for a while. We have never had a bob attack or injure a domestic in any way, not even bobcats that have not been socialized with domestic cats have tried to harm them. They DO however, like to play with them...which can only be allowed up to a certain age for obvious size/power difference reasons.

For this same reason (significant differences in size and strength = injury to a domestic cat), there is a good chance that there would be no occurance of a domestic cat breeding with a bobcat, but I do know of a bobcat that was captured and kept from a very young age. Though he acted wild, and did not ever have humans in his enclosure (he was "owned" by people who did not understand this animal, and they feared him, therefore never worked with him), even as a sexually mature adult, he shared every meal with a small tabby cat that could slip into his enclosure with him.

The kink in the line so to speak is that if it was a domestic female with a bobcat male, it would probably result in an injured domestic. If it is a bobcat female with a domestic male, we would never see the kittens because they would be too wild, and learn their mother's elusive ways.

Thats not to say that a bob would not try to harm a domestic cat, but in my experience, that is not the case. Same goes for other animals like cats and dogs.

Sorry for the super long answer, but the simple answer is there isn't really a simple answer...there are a lot of factors in play.

Last edited:
when kari answers my ? about bobcats and domestic cats, you ll know if you should let him in, I know coons will get cats I dont know bout bobcats, and chupacobras

Quote:
well, we have had a lot of people claim to have bobcat/domestic hybrids, but we have yet to verify any of them. However, I would not put it past a bobcat to TRY. We have many "barn cats" at the facility, some of them have even become surrogate siblings for our orphan bobs. Bobcats are extremely social, and many single babies sucumb to capture myopathy and will die without the company of another, but they are also pretty suceptable to certain diseases, so we have to adhere to strict quarantine, and can't always provide another baby bob. SO, our domestics step in for a while. We have never had a bob attack or injure a domestic in any way, not even bobcats that have not been socialized with domestic cats have tried to harm them. They DO however, like to play with them...which can only be allowed up to a certain age for obvious size/power difference reasons.

For this same reason (significant differences in size and strength = injury to a domestic cat), there is a good chance that there would be no occurance of a domestic cat breeding with a bobcat, but I do know of a bobcat that was captured and kept from a very young age. Though he acted wild, and did not ever have humans in his enclosure (he was "owned" by people who did not understand this animal, and they feared him, therefore never worked with him), even as a sexually mature adult, he shared every meal with a small tabby cat that could slip into his enclosure with him.

The kink in the line so to speak is that if it was a domestic female with a bobcat male, it would probably result in an injured domestic. If it is a bobcat female with a domestic male, we would never see the kittens because they would be too wild, and learn their mother's elusive ways.

Thats not to say that a bob would not try to harm a domestic cat, but in my experience, that is not the case. Same goes for other animals like cats and dogs.

Sorry for the super long answer, but the simple answer is there isn't really a simple answer...there are a lot of factors in play.

why sorry for the long answer very interesting reading, its starnge with cats aint it? coyotes will go out of there why to kill dogs and foxes,

Quote:

So if bobcats mate with domestic cats, it's kind of odd they eat them too...

Quote:

Exactly! the claw marks were so big but it squeezed through a tiny space with a ten pound orpington. What kind of animal is that!?

And I don't get that it left so much evidence. If there wasn't so much underbrush we could have tracked the culprit to it's den! This is something to ponder about. Maybe the animal was spooked and was running as fast as it could!

i still say bobcat or chupacobra, the feathers left would be from the animal running with the chicken knocking off feathers and feathers from where it forced it through the hole

hate to tell you this OP, but a 1 foot area will allow a mountain lion through. Lenny (50lb bobcat) can fit inside a dog crate for a 15lb dog just fine....we know...we use that size crate for vet visits...kitties get gassed down for procedures, and that is the biggest crate that will fit in the chamber!

and to cw, hunting is not enough to make me hate you! People who are willing to listen objectively to the side of bobcats I am so fortunate to experience, and most of all be RESPONSIBLE about hunting are okay in my book...I know the kinder side of bobcats...a side that most people never ever even imagine exhists....many people kill them out of fear or ignorance (oh my, we have to eliminate all of them! They eat small children and family dogs! posted: the preceding statements are complete and utter falacies!!!!!), and in massive numbers...I have seen barns covered in bobcat pelts....and THAT makes me cringe...it is all about checks and balances in nature.

Back
Top Bottom