10 week old Buff Orpington... Hen or Roo?

The Red Rooster

Poultry Observer
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
Rapid City, South Dakota
I have a 10 week old BO who I'm guessing is cockerel. The comb looks more like a female, but not sure.

Reasons why I think cockerel:

The feathers are longer then my other BO.

"His" feathers are darker then my other BO (not sure if that matters).

The feathers near the back droop down more.

He attached my foot and mounted another chick.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Is it possible it's a mix? Maybe that's why looks different as far as color. I'm assuming you mean 10 weeks, so it's possible, the face is red but I'm having a hard time getting a close up of the feathers.

Definitely pullet
smile.png

Sorry ... dragging an old thread back from the compost pile ...

I was looking at my Buff Orpington/Rhode Island Red "Tweety" this evening. This is my first attempt at egg incubating. Tweety's getting a sorta curly tail. Theres also small buttons where you might see their leg spurs grow .... do hens have those? I have not noticed before and it's too late to go out and violate my sleeping Rooster and Hen.

I've never had Orpington hens, but I've had RIRs and I dont remember the girls getting tails like this. sort of a dark pic, sorry, but at 4 days shy of six weeks, what is your opinion .... Pullet or Cockrel?

I have no idea but I always hope the OP will come back and tell us what the result was!! I'm trying to learn all I can from these threads and I always take a guess and then don't see the result.

Back
Top Bottom