1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

10 week old chick stuck in feeder!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TammyTX, May 1, 2009.

1. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Here is a warning about the small plastic feeders w/an open top.

I have the large galvanized feeder and I have had no problems with it. But for scratch treats I use (used) the smaller feeder. Well no more!

[​IMG]

I came home on Monday, went to let the chickens out of their run and into their yard and what did I see?? The tail of one of my girls sticking out the top of the feeder (which had blown over)! I ran over because it was very very still, I just knew she was dead but thank God she was alive. I tried to pull her back out but as you all know chickens don't do BACK very well, so I pried the bottom of the feeder off and pulled her out. She is fine but her comb and the top of her beak are bruised. If it was going to happen, then I am glad it happened to one of our calmest birds, a Wellie, because one of the more spastic birds would have probably gone shocky and died.

It's totally my fault. I thought they were too large to get into the dang thing. When they were smaller I used to stuff a Nerf football in the top to keep them out.

I left the feeder, in two pieces, in the chicken run so the little Wellie could go by and kick it if she wants to!!

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh my! That's awful.

Thanks for the heads up as I was going to buy that exact same feeder in the small, 7 lb. size today for my new broody/chick tractor. I guess I will be looking for something different.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    OMG my 9 week old EE got stuck in the same one last week! I thought she was dead-luckily I had to tip it upside down and she slid out--I never in a million years thought that would happen-I had to show my DH a few feet away because he would not have believed me without seeing it!

4. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Thank you for taking the time to warn other members of your experience so that it might be avoided by others.

Glad your girl is OK

5. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    It might be okay if you can stuff something in the top. There are other models around that have tops which would be better.

6. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    I'm waiting for mine to get stuck. The 8 week old brahmas jump into the galvanized feeder since its not hanging right now, I just know there is going to be a day I go out there and they can't get out

7. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    RECALL!!!

8. c'mon eggs

c'mon eggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    I've had the same thing happen several times to me too!

I made the mistake of buying this feeder right off the bat (newbie chick owner here) and had to rescue several chicks from the inside of the feeder. They were scared and I just knew for sure that they were dead. Luckily, they were okay. Very scary!

My DH finally cut a paper plate into a circle (same size as top opening) and taped it on the top really, really good. So, now we have no chicks getting stuck, but I also have to pour the feed around the bottom without being able to pour extra into the opened top.

9. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    You know those metal circular ones with the round holes cut into them? I had a chick climb through one of the holes and get stuck once. He was very frustrated when I found him, not hurt, but mad as heck!

10. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    Same thing here but it was an older bird a rooster, my DUccle. He was dead still but as soon as I tore it off he started to move around but was still laying took him inside warmed him up and after about 30 minutes he started to walk around. He is fine now but I thought for sure he was a gonner. Thanks for posting I was thinking I had the worlds dumbest chicken! [​IMG]
    Edited to say we made a lid out of the bottom of a plastic flower pot.

Last edited: May 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by