10 week old chick with constantly messy bottom

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CoolClucker, Aug 29, 2013.

1. CoolClucker

CoolClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Central USA
    I have 14 ten week old chicks and one is having a problem with a messy butt. I've had to give her 3 butt baths and she's about to get a 4th. She isn't pasting up, it's on her butt underneath her vent area. They live on pine shavings, medicated grower/starter crumbles, fresh water, and have not been moved in weeks. She is the only one with an issue. She is eating/drinking fine and active. It's just that she is always a mess. Any ideas on why this might be happening and how to fix it? I don't want to have to give the poor girl a butt bath once a week for 10 years. And she preens herself daily. I notice too that she squats super low when she poos. I was using ACV and thought that might be the culprit so I am just giving straight water now. Just need a bit of advice please. thanks !

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Other than cleaning and trimming feathers around area,not really. Her squatting low to poop may be the problem,does she have diarrhea or just dirty feathers from dragging in poop? I switched to sand b/c i could not stand dirty feet,did not matter how many times i changed shavings,feet would still get dirty.

1 person likes this.
  3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Don't use ACV. Get some Probios dispersible powder and use 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. Use some vitamin-mineral powder in the water too according to label directions. Do this 3 days a week. I've heard much about bad digestion happening frequently with medicated feeds/ or low quality feeds. I prefer to use organic feeds and use Corid at a preventative dose every three weeks until the birds are at least 6 months of age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by