10 Week old EE roo attacking one pullet

FlyingFChick

Songster
9 Years
May 1, 2010
Milford, Michigan
Hi,
I have 5 10 week old chickens. 1 EE roo, 2 EE pullets & 2 ISA pullets. They have all been together since day one. Yesterday, out of the blue, the little bugger started to attack only one of the girls. I broke them up and thought that maybe it was an isolated incident. About 30 minutes later, the same thing! He was being brutal to her. She was cowering in the corner of their run. She is very sweet and I can tell that she is the lowest in the pecking order. Is he trying to prove that he is the boss, which was already obvious with her, or is he "practicing" for when he is mature. When do they start becoming sexually mature?? I have separated him from the girls, and I hope that I don't have to get rid of him. Up until today, he has been very sweet... Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Is he trying to grab onto the feathers on her head? If so, that's mating behavior and she's fighting it because she's not ready. The boys do mature before the girls, but 10 weeks is a bit young.

I have a rooster that has been doing this to one of my hens and they have been together for two years. When he starts picking on her, the other hens come over to attack her as well. This has been going on for almost two months. I seperated her for awhile but than I got some chicks and she would attack them so I had to put her back in with the big chickens.

I can't seem to correct the behavior of the rooster and the other hens. My other poor hen is constantly scared now and usually stays in the coop or a nest box all day. At night they usually run her off the roost and she ends up sleeping on the floor or in a nest box. I guess I'm going to have to get rid of somebody. The hen or the rooster and the other three hens. With this behavior, I don't know if I will be able to introduce the four new chicks whenever they get big enough.

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom