1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

10 week old roo mating!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dan_grow, Dec 25, 2010.

1. dan_grow

dan_grow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    my about 10 week old roo has started to mate his hens (if can even call them that at this age) dose this also mean he will start crowing soon....

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I imagine he will, if there isn't another dominant roo there.

Just FYI, it works like this: under one year they are cockerels and pullets. Over one year they are hens and roosters. Learned on BYC, of course.

3. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    That cock sure is young... I doubt it's "working". Boy, thats a lot of testosterone!

4. dan_grow

dan_grow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    i did have another cockerel around but i removed him a few days ago (he was about 4 months and just started to mate and crow loudly i may also add)

5. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    10 weeks old is too young.

6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:You may think so...but once when I visited this breeders place to buy some silkies and I saw a 12 week old cockerel mating with a pullet of the same age...they were tiny..*shudders* [​IMG]

7. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

My 18 week old cockerel gave out his first real crow this morning! (Merry Christmas!) I think I noticed him this afternoon making a play with one of the pullets. They are also 18 weeks old and have not started laying. Three of the pullets are starting to squat when I pet them and their combs and waddles are turning a brighter red. I am going to assume that eggs are soon to follow and that the cockerel is now officially a boy and will continue to do the "things that boys do!". What do you think? I also have put a rope light inside the coop so that they will get around 14 hours of light. I want to give them every chance to start laying when their "female clocks" are ready.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    10 weeks is about the time my brahma cockerels started trying to mate the pullets.

Get yourself a turken. Impy was trying at two weeks old. The same week he started trying to crow. [​IMG]

9. IdealisticRoo

IdealisticRoo Chicken Tender

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    I have a crowing, mating roo that was born on October 19th. He will be 10 weeks on Tuesday! He has been crowing and trying to get up on "his" 3 hens since he was about 6 weeks old!

Attaboy!

[​IMG]

10. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    I have a cockerel that started crowing on his six week birthday. He's almost 11 weeks now and no signs of jumping on the ladies. But he sure does love to crow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by