10 week old silkie bantam- hen or rooster?

tylerezuidema

Hatching
May 23, 2024
I have a silkie bantam that is about 10 weeks old. I'm pretty sure it's not a rooster but I just wanted to make sure! I low-key kind of want a rooster lol but my husband would be relieved if it wasn't.
IMG_5781.jpeg
IMG_5785.jpeg

Any silkie expert in the house please I plan on getting silkies mid this year and was wondering if they had regular flight feathers like a normal chicken cus I do see some photos with them having and not having

Satins have all the silkie traits (crest, black skin, body shape, 5 toes etc) but with "normal" hooked chicken feathers, silkies of course are hookless so they just fluff everywhere.

If you are referring to where on some silkies you can't see any flight feathers and other you can, that's more a quality of the bird to the SOP deal. They should have nice short primaries that tuck up under the secondary feathers on their wings where you really can't see them. If they carry their wings too low, or those feathers are too long, you will see those feathers plain as day.

Satin
20240614_065905.jpg

Feather length and wing carriage is good
20240612_185213.jpg
20240611_200904.jpg

Wing carriage is bad, you can see those hard feathers hanging down, it doesn't help he was puffing up at me so intentionally was pushing his far wing up and this close wing down, but they shouldn't be as visible as that. His are always visible, if you're breeding to show or working toward the SOP you don't want wings like his.
20240604_193142.jpg

Back
Top Bottom