10 weeks old and outside temps

The window is glass double paned and it has a piece of wire ready to install on the inside. The foam is temporary...and I guess I will be getting something to keep the girls warm until they get used to the outside weather!

I just took a few two and a half week old chicks out to the nursery coop to be with the five week olds because they were becoming too rambunctious in the brooder for my new hatchlings. It's going to be down to 20 degrees tonight. They have a pretty good setup with a low ceiling, and drapes on the wire wall plus a 250 watt heat lamp and a 100 watt red flood light near the water to keep it from freezing.

With no chickens in the coop and no deep bedding yet, DH put in a 250 watt red heat lamp last night, the temp went up to a balmy 35! We are thinking this is a bit to chilly for 11 week old girls, fully feathered or not! I spoke with Melonie on stock the coop and she suggested a ceramic heat lamp (I'm thinking 2?) or flat wall heater and both with a thermostat, has anyone had any experience with either?

I put my 6 week old fully feathered chicks (12 of them) out in the coop, they are in a 4x8 section with a 250 watt red bulb lowered to 24" from the floor in the three feet around the light the temp is 40 degrees day and night. they seem fine. THey 've been out there for a week now and seem to be doing well. even trying out the roost. I had adjusted them down to 55 degrees in the house (the unheated mudroom) before putting them in the coop so it wasn't a big drop in temp for them.

Maybe you want to put your heater on a timer? and measure how warm it makes the coop?

You can use a ThermoCube and plug your heater into it. They come in different temperature ranges, but the most commonly used is on at 35° and off at 45°.

Be sure your heater is up high enough they can't kick litter into it and it is secured very well so it won't get knocked over.

Amazon ThermoCubes

Back
Top Bottom