10 weeks old, I think I have a roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Murs, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Murs

Murs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2011
    North SD County
    Instead of getting eggs when my hen went broody, I bought day old chicks. The feed store said they were 95% certain the chicks were female. (How can they make that claim at that age?).

I put them under my broody and she has been a wonderful mom.
    (By the way, I would never have attempted this if it wasn't for all the great information on this website).

Now they are 10 weeks old and I'm starting to think I may have a roo. Mainly because of its behavior. He/she will run up to the others and puff the neck feathers and stand real tall. Just briefly. I think they're playing. Do females do that?

All four are the same breed, Rhode Island Red. The one I think is a roo has more black coloring in the tail feathers.

Here's a picture of the one I think is a roo

[​IMG]

I think these two in the foreground are hens. Daisy in the background is my oldest, my sweetest and my best layer right now. Unfortunately, all the others are skittish.

[​IMG]

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Looks pullet to me. My hatchery RIR had black in their tails, one more than the other so made it easy to tell them apart :) They're laying, the other two are hatchery EEs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    pullet.

4. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    pullet [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    pullet

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Pullet

7. Murs

Murs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2011
    North SD County
    Yay! Thanks everyone!

I finally have all hens. Oh boy that's a lot of eggs when they all start laying. :D

My first attemp, I had four eggs. All four hatched. One chick was killed right away by another hen. Two of them turned out to be roosters that I got rid of.

2nd time I got six eggs. Only one hatched and luckily she was a hen. That hen went broody and become mom to the four chicks I have now which I purchased when they were a day old.

6 is good. I don't have room for more.

8. Murs

Murs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2011
    North SD County
    I have four RIR that are 10 weeks and one adult. It's going to be hard to tell them apart until I get to know their personalities. But the black feathers will help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by