$100 chickens - is this for real?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SassyKat6181, Sep 16, 2010.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    This is an ad on my local craigslist. Not that I am interested in buying them, but I though $100 for a chicken was ridiculous.
    Do people really get this kind of money? [​IMG]

Full Blood Serama Banties - $100 These birds are very rare and can be kept in house for house pets. Very tame if you keep working
    with them and handling them. full grown rooster wieghs only 12 ozs. Very attractive birds. Not many of these birds in the United states.
    2 sets of parents on premises and chicks hatching in incubator about every other day. These birds sell fast.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I have seen some for that price and higher, but I didn't buy mine for that and when I sold chicks I sold them for $3.00 each. So I'm sure you can find them cheaper.

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    For top line show birds, Yes. No idea what this person has as far as quality. They may have $5 culls.

Matt

4. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:I imagine that birds from the GOOD breeders can sell for more than that.
    But I believe the good breeders mostly have their own websites, and even if they posted on Craigslist, they'd be posting culls...and culls aren't worth 100 dollars.
    Sounds like a ripoff IMO.

They act like all Serama roosters are 12 ounces...unless I"m crazy, since I am new to the bird, the weights can vary, it's a matter of the weight classes. Yeah...I don't like that ad, seems shady.

5. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Quote:Yep its for real!! Seramas "good seramas" should i say are worth alot.. I sold 2 hens last week for $50 each.. if these are really good birds $100 price dosen't surprise me..

6. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    Sounds like a great salesman to me. [​IMG]

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Depends on the breed and that particular bird's conformation, color, age, sex, etc. I've paid more than $100 for a chicken and double that for a goose...so it's possible...and I've sold a few for $50-$75 before.

I'm sure if they are proven show birds (that actually win) they could be worth more! [​IMG]

8. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I am a newbie to this stuff. My chicks are arriving tomorrow. [​IMG] I wanted chickens 1) to play with and let my kids have fun with [​IMG] and 2) to have delicious eggs. I guess there is a whole other side to chickens when it comes to showing and raising for money. A chicken's a chicken to me. [​IMG] Thanks everyone.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    For true Show Quality birds, yes. Or if they're something rare.

I paid nearly $200 for my two Tolbunts, and they were just eggs at the time. [​IMG]

10. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Craigslist isn't a bad place to sell either culls or show potential birds. Lots of people browse craigslist for everything, and I have seen some show breeders that sell on here advertise there. And the good thing about craigslist is that if you are searching for your area, every hit you get is gonna be within driving distance. That in itself is better than having to worry about shipping eggs, chicks, or birds. I've sold off some of my hatchery stock there when we were transitioning to good quality show lines.
    As far as the $100 a bird, yes, they can go for that. Before eggbid went down there was a pair of Lav silkies on there that people bid up to over $700 for the pair. I've seen Coronations going for over $100 a bird. Excellent quality birds very often go for over $50, along with anything that is rare and hard to find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by