100% hatch rate first time incubating in homemade incubator

shan04

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 23, 2014

This was my first time making a incubator and first time incubating my own eggs and I'm so proud they all hatched, all 9. I can say for the most part my little non fancy ice cooler incubator with only a fan and bulb in it stayed pretty consistent at 99 to 100 degrees except for a few times when the temp in that room changed it went as high as 104 and as low as 95 a few times and I was sure they were all dead but waited it out. everyone hatched healthy and right on time days 21 and 22. The only thing I will need to change for this next round is on day 18 raise the humidity to over 75%. I kept it around 65 and I had a chick get stuck to his egg cause it wasn't humid enough and I had to give him a warm bath to get the dried egg shells and goop off him. I did not do much for them didn't put in any fancy equipment our go all out on my bator. I didn't even worry about the humidity I did a dry batch turned them 3 to 5 times a day a quarter of a turn. I figured the eggs are outside in nature the mom's don't worry what times or how many times they turn there babies, there exposed to all kinds of temp changes and they hatch inn nature just fine. I will be putting in another batch in a few days along with a couple duck eggs.

Well I think my temps only were at that degree for a few hours each time, so maybe I just got lucky on this one. Lol

Mine happened the day after lockdown so that may have made it worse, not really sure. I keep it in the basement now to prevent spikes on those first warm spring days. The humidity is more consistent too.

I have cochins, I love the breed not only beautiful but easy tempered and my girls lay a egg almost daily.

This was my first time making a incubator and first time incubating my own eggs and I'm so proud they all hatched, all 9. I can say for the most part my little non fancy ice cooler incubator with only a fan and bulb in it stayed pretty consistent at 99 to 100 degrees except for a few times when the temp in that room changed it went as high as 104 and as low as 95 a few times and I was sure they were all dead but waited it out. everyone hatched healthy and right on time days 21 and 22. The only thing I will need to change for this next round is on day 18 raise the humidity to over 75%. I kept it around 65 and I had a chick get stuck to his egg cause it wasn't humid enough and I had to give him a warm bath to get the dried egg shells and goop off him. I did not do much for them didn't put in any fancy equipment our go all out on my bator. I didn't even worry about the humidity I did a dry batch turned them 3 to 5 times a day a quarter of a turn. I figured the eggs are outside in nature the mom's don't worry what times or how many times they turn there babies, there exposed to all kinds of temp changes and they hatch inn nature just fine. I will be putting in another batch in a few days along with a couple duck eggs.

That is AWESOME!
yippiechickie.gif
Congratulations on a Great Hatch!
clap.gif
Can you post a pick of your bator?

Back
Top Bottom