100 Pound Dogs Fighting! Advice please..

*nods head*
Mastiffs are considered "puppies" until they are 2. I guess I've been holding out hope for her...

My Pup Pup was just like your Sofia. Extremely dominant. Her sister, Blaze, was very dominant as well.

They ended up at 8 weeks old getting into a very bad fight--leaving Pup Pup with a nasty scar on her ear that she had the rest of her life. And this was at 8 weeks old! I couldn't imagine breaking them up at 100+ lbs! I found a new home for Blaze and she did fantastic.

What I'm trying to say is that, I've been in your shoes--so my words are not coming from judgement but rather, experience. I wish you success going forward.

I have 4 dogs. The 2 dogs in question are Sofia, a Mastiff 1 1/2 years old and Kipper, a Great Pyrenees 2 years old. They used to be best friends, playing all day long. Now they absolutely hate each other. I don't know how or why. Neither of the girls are spayed. We could spay Sofia, but not Kipper. Kipper cannot be confined to get her to the vet, she has some severe anxiety issues. Again I don't know why because she was rarely kenneled, just tied out for her own safety as a puppy.
Question 1 are these two ever going to get along again? They had a huge fight tonight again. Question 2 how do you safely stop a dog fight?
I have a Weimaraner. As it goes, he is absolutely insane when locked in a crate. So, when he was neutered at two and recently when he had to get some lumps removed (he’s ten now), the vet knows to give him anti-anxiety medicine before. They drug him up nice and good, and it doesn’t get rid of it all the way - he will still bark from the moment he’s put in the pre-surgery bay until the moment he’s released to me (and he rubs his nose raw) but at least he’s not trying to chew his way through metal bars.

Experiment with wraps - the thunder coat works for a lot. Also, wrapping their head - around their ears - tends to calm them down. Everyone assumes their dog was abused if they don’t crate. Couldn’t be further from the truth. Like humans, dogs have very different personalities and problems can be exacerbated by breed tendencies.

Get them both spayed. If one doesn’t crate, tie her leash around your waist to ensure she isn’t running around. Or ask your vet for a Xanax script. I found that my dog was fine in my car - if you work and can‘t be with her the week after, experiment with that. Good luck!

If we got Kipper to the vet to get spayed, I'm worried about them putting her in a kennel before and after the surgery. I seriously think that she'll hurt herself or someone unintentionally, or have a mental breakdown. It's like claustrophobia overload.
Would it help at all to have Sofia just spayed, since she's the aggressor?
Things don't happen until they do. If she was tranquilized when she went to the clinic and they took her in to surgery right away that would not be a problem. If she went berserk when she came out of anesthesia (and she very well may not) the clinic is in a position to deal with it. Taking the dog home right after surgery and before she wakes up is also an option. I am certainly not in a position to tell you what to do and I would not ever presume to do so. However, personally, I would just not be willing or able to deal with a 100# dog that has a screw loose, but that's me. I would be factoring the welfare of that dog vs. the health and welfare of me, the other dogs, other pets, and everybody else. Sometimes there are just no easy answers. I wish you the best no matter what you decide.

What your saying makes sense to me.
I have 2 other dogs a neutered Rat Terrier who they both love, and my spayed older Cocker Spaniel who is to her happiness mostly ignored by the other dogs.
Sofia is submissive and sweet to people, but aggressive towards Kipper and has killed a few of our cats. 😣
Our first move was to try to find other home for the dobermann but it's very impossible for such an old dog (he killed some of my chickens, got a muzzle and still did it, so no question if we need a super clever shepherd or a crazy who can't even do his job protecting the chickens) He is friend with our cat who we made him get used to, but if he would have chance he would kill anything that is not our animal and he can catch... Even with ours if he thinks it's a good idea... Should say, 'luckily' his paralysis made him calmer, and forced us to take steps ending his life and solving the problem on the way. But saying again, he's crazy, if your dogs grew up with their family until they should they should be socialized enough to solve a problem like that and live in a pack with nearly no problem. Our ex neighbour had 6 girl dogs, !all spayed! , they had 2 huskies of which one was very dominant, they didn't have fights with the other small dogs, but the other husky occasionally, so I think it just happens?
The farm close to us have a boy and two girls of a shepherd breed, they also have fights between the girls sometimes, so don't imagine yours surely have an issue, and i'm sure a visit to the vet will be of no help. I think you have to see if they will decide who is boss, and then expect sometimes the boss teaching a lesson, but if they does this on a daily basis for no reason, I would suggest you to rehome the more problematic, and give her to someone who will keep her alone, or deal with the logistics of keep them separated, for your own safety. You can also try to contact a trainer, who might see the exact cause behind the fights and then it's easier to solve it.
What I learnt of our story is that I will not keep more dogs of the same gender ever again. I just wouldn't risk all the problems because it's very uncomfortable dealing with the separation. We only got the other because we had a fox problem, and the dobermann managed, but then he decided to kill the rooster that was attacking him sometimes, and we didn't even got so mad(of course he got punished) , thinking it was revenge, but after that he figured it was a possible thing, found a little pullet torn apart the next time, and that is when we needed the other dog, because he reached the score of the fox, and later beat it...

Last edited:
I can't help you with stopping the problem altogether, but how to safely break up a dog fight:
Two dogs means that you need two people that are good and strong. Each person should approach from behind the dogs- one dog to one person. At the same time, each person takes the back legs of the dog that they've been assigned and lifts them off the ground like this:
1622843145415.png

The dogs will kick!!, struggle and try to figure out what's going on, which is why these people need to be strong, especially with giant breeds like yours. Then, the people start turning the dogs in opposite directions. The turning motion gives the dogs something to focus on (using their front feet to keep their balance). Continue until the humans have their backs to one and other, with the dogs facing in opposite directions. At this point, either one person or a third person can take one dog by the collar and lead it away.

If you don't' have two people on hand, sometimes something loud and surprising (an airhorn or a LOUD whistle) can cause the dogs to lose focus and stop what they're doing.

Hope this is helpful!

I can't help you with stopping the problem altogether, but how to safely break up a dog fight:
Two dogs means that you need two people that are good and strong. Each person should approach from behind the dogs- one dog to one person. At the same time, each person takes the back legs of the dog that they've been assigned and lifts them off the ground like this:
View attachment 2703935
The dogs will kick!!, struggle and try to figure out what's going on, which is why these people need to be strong, especially with giant breeds like yours. Then, the people start turning the dogs in opposite directions. The turning motion gives the dogs something to focus on (using their front feet to keep their balance). Continue until the humans have their backs to one and other, with the dogs facing in opposite directions. At this point, either one person or a third person can take one dog by the collar and lead it away.

If you don't' have two people on hand, sometimes something loud and surprising (an airhorn or a LOUD whistle) can cause the dogs to lose focus and stop what they're doing.

Hope this is helpful!
I once had a couple dogs get in a really bad knock down fight. Unfortunately for them and fortunately for me, they got into it right beside a swimming pool. I picked up a handy push broom and just shoved the two of them into the pool. I left them to sputter and swim a bit before I helped them out. I wanted to make sure they were tired enough so they would behave. Something like that happens about once in a lifetime, but it is great when it does. After all these years I still laugh about it.

I have a Weimaraner. As it goes, he is absolutely insane when locked in a crate. So, when he was neutered at two and recently when he had to get some lumps removed (he’s ten now), the vet knows to give him anti-anxiety medicine before. They drug him up nice and good, and it doesn’t get rid of it all the way - he will still bark from the moment he’s put in the pre-surgery bay until the moment he’s released to me (and he rubs his nose raw) but at least he’s not trying to chew his way through metal bars.

Experiment with wraps - the thunder coat works for a lot. Also, wrapping their head - around their ears - tends to calm them down. Everyone assumes their dog was abused if they don’t crate. Couldn’t be further from the truth. Like humans, dogs have very different personalities and problems can be exacerbated by breed tendencies.

Get them both spayed. If one doesn’t crate, tie her leash around your waist to ensure she isn’t running around. Or ask your vet for a Xanax script. I found that my dog was fine in my car - if you work and can‘t be with her the week after, experiment with that. Good luck!
Tethering a pup or smaller dog to you is great for training purposes, but tying the leash around your waist with a 100lb dog on the other end is probably not a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom