101 reasons we love ducks

265: Seeing their beak pop out of the egg as they hatch
266: Calling for them and only hearing quacks till they pop out somewhere
267: How they stay close to the hutch and pond so they dont go in my neighbor's yard
268: The sideways "stink eye" they give you

165. The way they start quaking at me once I whistle for them when I walk out my door. We will whistle and quack back in forth until they are right in front of me, like a game of marco polo. /img/smilies/lau.gif

166. When they wiggle there butts when they poo. The only animal I can think of that does something cute when it poos. /img/smilies/gig.gif
have you ever seen a hippopotamus poop?

Dont know what number we are up to or if someone has says this already but...

It is so cute when they tip their heads back when drinking and make that slushing sound while their bills make the cutest motions! It is hard to explain, but all you duck owners out there know what i am talking about:)

271: My scovy eat stink bugs!!! Need there even be more??? Lol
272: my Muscovy eat poison oak and sumac ect.
273: they love demolishing fira ant hills eating them all!
274: they eat scorpions.
275: they eat poisonous spiders.
276: they eat poisonous snakes, sucking small copperheads down like noodles and beating or whipping larger ones around to death, tear them apart with beaks together in group, slash and or stomp them to death with big clawed feet (mostly the males), whether they eat them or not at all, as very territorial with possible small threats.
277: They eat wasps and hornets.
278: they eat rodents, shrews and least weasels ect. Large country rats to med city rats.
279: they chase after hawks when they see them getting too close to flock, if don't get too fat, and are muscled enough to fly.
280: a pair with tiny babies can fend off huge and small dog, not backing down to protect fam, until my dogs get there to kill or run other dogs off.
281: my scovy are quiet and people friendly, but people think they're geese and afraid to go past or get out of cars more so of than the dogs for some reason. course that immediately are surrounded by hissing snaking long drake necks and the dogs leave them alone probly adds to that.
282: Theyll only beat on and chase the cat that attacked them as babies, as sometimes he forgets they'll beat him like a step child when he attacks them or the hens.

funniest thing seeing a twenty pound cat chased by a small bantam cockerel, four angry small bantam hens, and a bakers dozen scovy! As moments before you just saw him stalking a small bantam hen or scovy duck duck that strayed to far from other ones and i say "no spot no" "not again" "you stupid cat" " they're going to beat you until your screams annoy me enough to save you.. again".

Last edited:
271: My scovy eat stink bugs!!! Need there even be more??? Lol
272: my Muscovy eat poison oak and sumac ect.
273: they love demolishing fira ant hills eating them all!
274: they eat scorpions.
275: they eat poisonous spiders.
276: they eat poisonous snakes, sucking small copperheads down like noodles and beating or whipping larger ones around to death, tear them apart with beaks together in group, slash and or stomp them to death with big clawed feet (mostly the males), whether they eat them or not at all, as very territorial with possible small threats.
277: They eat wasps and hornets.
278: they eat rodents, shrews and least weasels ect. Large country rats to med city rats.
279: they chase after hawks when they see them getting too close to flock, if don't get too fat, and are muscled enough to fly.
280: a pair with tiny babies can fend off huge and small dog, not backing down to protect fam, until my dogs get there to kill or run other dogs off.
281: my scovy are quiet and people friendly, but people think they're geese and afraid to go past or get out of cars more so of than the dogs for some reason. course that immediately are surrounded by hissing snaking long drake necks and the dogs leave them alone probly adds to that.
282: Theyll only beat on and chase the cat that attacked them as babies, as sometimes he forgets they'll beat him like a step child when he attacks them or the hens.

funniest thing seeing a twenty pound cat chased by a small bantam cockerel, four angry small bantam hens, and a bakers dozen scovy! As moments before you just saw him stalking a small bantam hen or scovy duck duck that strayed to far from other ones and i say "no spot no" "not again" "you stupid cat" " they're going to beat you until your screams annoy me enough to save you.. again".

Wow I never knew ducks could eat all that! And they chase off predators? Thats great! Mine just run...

The male scovy are very goose like in size and can be in defense of flock, but quietly hiss instead of honking, have dangerous claws (though mine never used on me yet, except by accident), and people friendly generally. they also eat fleas flies gnats skeeters ect. that are attracted and not eaten or easily caught by other poultry so i hear (except guinea foul but thry are loud and wild i hear).

females are smaller more meat duck duck size supposedly as i only have scovy, but duck to swan like in appearance and attitude, and make the cutest sounds sorta like the friendly furry thing from gremlins), that are chirps trills hisses and quacks when upset among others..
both my scovy sexes are very nice to all other animals here I've had, except hormonal cockerels that attacked and tried to jump them, those they grab by neck or head and beat against ground and or grab and toss. they usually hang around front or back yard, pond, or creek that leads to bigger run off or something that leads to close river you can hear and see, but oddly they haven't gone yet with dogs (darn ducks more obedient). Spring and mating season with nesting may change that.

I think they only chase off other animals as fam flock defense, as i have over a dozen, two about year old were broody with dozen young fluffy ducklings. two adults stuck up for young and young probly just copied adults thinking what supposed to do and as worked keep doing it. The two original ducks only survivors of duck massacre that they only survived, with one other female that flew away abandoning the two and clutch of eggs ready to hatch, that seventy something other ducks died in, from one of his squirrel hunting dogs getting out of its pen into duck barn (he had had all different kinds of ducks). so these two just possibly stronger made than average. or just too inbred making mean and possibly stupid, but just lucky maybe.
I'm hoping to try a layer duck which are domestic breed of wild mallard species, to compare my scovy which are domestic breed of wood duck species, to one day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom