103 degrees, think they're dead?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ottovan, Aug 12, 2010.

1. ottovan

ottovan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    Ingleside Texas
    Have three more days til lock down, I noticed temp 103 for a little while. it is in the garage and it is summer here in south texas - serious heat now. My quail seem to hatch no matter what - not sure about silkies will wait - anyone else had this happen to them? I know the garage is a bad place but I like to watch them - wish it was cooler!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I think they will probably make it. They are a lot tougher than you would think.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Dont give up hope yet! I've had much higher spikes and still had some hatch...
    Good luck! [​IMG]

4. ottovan

Jun 19, 2010
    Ingleside Texas
    Thanks - I'll let you know what happens!. You have your incubators running? Where do you set yours up? Husband doesn't like smell in house and I'm afraid of snakes and power outages outside of my house! My silkie hens have disappointed me only 2 chicks and 2 quail from 4 broody hens. So I just bought a bigger incubator! Would really love these quail to make it!

5. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    103 ain't gonna hurt em' [​IMG] just dont go over that. [​IMG]

6. ottovan

Jun 19, 2010
    Ingleside Texas
    I've been hearing peeping and four eggs have little cracks - so we'll see. Four silkie eggs and 16 quail eggs so far nothing from quail eggs. Not due to hatch til tomorrow. Some hope there - wish it would cool off here!

7. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Wow! Sounds like you're moving right along! Any pics for us??? [​IMG]

8. ottovan

Jun 19, 2010
    Ingleside Texas
    Two little black silkies so far, real sweet both jumped right into my hand - still waiting on the rest! Pics tomorrow

9. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

I think they'll be ok. We had 11 eggs in the incubator and I noticed the temp was at 103 on the first day of lockdown (Monday). I dropped the heat slowly over around 6 hours, had 9 hatch so far - two still waiting on.

10. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    I don't know about chicken eggs, but I just put 300 quail eggs in to hatch, and my incubator got to 105 in my un-airconditioned shed, and only 45 of them hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by