1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

106 degrees!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duckncover, Aug 11, 2011.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Will it kill button quails if they were in 106 degrees for a while? My incubator jumped :'(

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Not sure how long it takes but 106 will kill them if the eggs them selves have time to warm up to that point.

3. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Well I had 112*F spike for 1hr.maybe less... Give them a chance. I had 13 of 28 hatch when that happened to me.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    It's not the air temp inside the bator that counts, it's the INTERNAL temp of the egg. So if you had a massive 120F spike for just a minute or two, it's unlikely the eggs would come to any harm. But if it jumped to just 104F and stayed there for a few hours (as in long enough for the inside of the egg to heat up to the same temp) then they'd probably all be dead. So, unless you know how long your spike lasted, you can't really judge how likely it is that your eggs have been damaged.

I have a still air bator that cycles between 96F and 106F the whole incubation, but keeps the internal temp of the eggs between 99F and 100F...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by