107 Degrees today....Misters??

Mine didn't like the misters. So I put chunks of ice in their water, and run the hose on the ground for an hour or two, and they do all come to stand in the water.

Quote:
mine do this too. We turn the hose on and they will come drink the water on the ground before they will drink what's in the dish and they just stand there with it running on their feet. Never thought about a baby pool for them to wade in. Might have to try one.

Good luck with the kiddie pool. I bought one for the girls, put it in the run with an inch of water in it, and they just looked at me as to say," well where is the rest of the water to drink". They would not get in it for me...... I thought it would have been like Christmas mornin for em too. LOL
Quote:
Guess I didnt' read this right my bad. I also bought a sprinkler the other day that oscillates but they haven't used it yet. But you know how chickens are scaredy cats about new stuff. I'll give them more time. I'm getting them a hard plastic wading pool next. Its freaking hot here in Texas but it always is.

Thanks everyone. Mine like to stand in the water I run in the ground but they run and hide in the coop when they see I'm hosing the run down. As soon as I turn the water off, they all come rushing out
smile.png
. I'm going to investigate mister nozzles tomorrow. I've just tried it with the mister setting on my nozzle hanging up in the run. We'll see what happens
smile.png

I have a spray bottle and I put it on the mist setting (and occasionally on the "jet" setting) and my birds hate it! They always run to the other side of their run and bock-bock like crazy. I just feel so bad for them that I spray them anyway...And I hate wetting their run because they drink the water that pools up in certain places, right after I clean their waterers and put nice cold ice in them, too!

I have a different problem(s).

I have 6 hens and a roo. I change their water every morning and every evening and always fill the waterer up with ice cubes before I add the water. They cannot free range all day because of the dogs. I leave at 7 in the morning and don't get home until 5:30/5:45 in the afternoons.

I can't leave the hose on mist all day. They would be soaked. They are in a shaded coop but it's still hot as blazes. 102 in the shade yesterday.

What can I do - if anything - for relief from the heat that will help all day? I hate coming home and finding our chicks dug down in the dirt, panting from the heat.

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me, I left the water running in the horse trough...
I'll run my sprinklers or misters and once the water quits running, the hens will lay down in the cool, damp dirt which is in the shade. They stay out of the muddy patches though. For my babies in the pen, I will hose the area down, which reduces the temperture by 10 degrees, I've been told.

I used the advice on this thread and wrap a frozen 2 liter bottle in an old towel. I also freeze 16 oz water bottles and put them in their water. I change the water twice a day. I have covered 1/4 of the coop with a tarp for shade and so far so good. When I empty out the water to change it, I empty it in the same corner of the coop so the ground there is basically mud. They seem to be happy so far. I, also cannot let them free range all day due to the dogs. but they are out for 2 hours every morning and 2-3 hours every night.

They are funny little critters......last year my girls loved to sit on frozen water bottles, now this year they want nothing to do with them. I bought them a plastic kiddie pool and they won't go in that, either. Only my Weimaraner will go in...she had one when she was a puppy.
I was going to get a mister but maybe they won't use it ? They are scaredy cats and I'll give it a few more tries.....they came in the house the other day and looked at me liek, "Hey, you have air conditioning in here?"
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom