10w standard bronze, unilateral leg dysfunction

WATread

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2023
thanks in advance.

10w standard bronze with 18 coop mates. always on chips or straw, treated with electrolytes and corid from start, 28% turkey starter to date.

I believe it's the left side that's affected. I notice a difference in the knee joint, not the hock. range of motion is different: when on back, affected side foot moves with little resistance to the the head (other side shows resistance and less flexibility).

Left knee (not hock) seems to be swollen in 'hamstring' area, more so than other side.

Looks like perosis in some ways, but it's not hock joint. bird is otherwise healthy but can't get around. other leg is questionable but seems to move more normally when I work with it.

This bird was showing this 2 weeks ago with inverted hock joints, then "healed", and is now back in the isolation station.

thanks in advance.

10w standard bronze with 18 coop mates. always on chips or straw, treated with electrolytes and corid from start, 28% turkey starter to date.

I believe it's the left side that's affected. I notice a difference in the knee joint, not the hock. range of motion is different: when on back, affected side foot moves with little resistance to the the head (other side shows resistance and less flexibility).

Left knee (not hock) seems to be swollen in 'hamstring' area, more so than other side.

Looks like perosis in some ways, but it's not hock joint. bird is otherwise healthy but can't get around. other leg is questionable but seems to move more normally when I work with it.

This bird was showing this 2 weeks ago with inverted hock joints, then "healed", and is now back in the isolation station.

We need to see pictures.

Corid is a thiamine,a b vit, blocker. How long have it been on corid? B vit deficiency can cause leg problems
oh interesting. good to. I've been advised to have them on corid until about 12 weeks since we have so many other animals around here in rotation.

Attachments

• 20230711_082645.jpg
    20230711_082645.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230711_082412.jpg
    20230711_082412.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230711_082127.jpg
    20230711_082127.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230711_081919.jpg
    20230711_081919.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 5
I can work that left leg back into appropriate position, but it takes some warming up.
In extension, it is much easier to move than the right leg, which makes me thinks torn muscle or torn tendon.
In flexion, that femur really doesn't want to tuck up into the body.
Hock joints seem to have similar range of motion when in relaxed position.

ok, I've identified its either a torn or strained thigh muscle. working on range of motion and swelling. hoping for a recovery!

Back
Top Bottom