10w old heritage turkey, unilateral leg problem

WATread

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2023
thanks in advance.

10w standard bronze with 18 coop mates. always on chips or straw, treated with electrolytes and corid from start, 28% turkey starter to date.

I believe it's the left side that's affected. I notice a difference in the knee joint, not the hock. range of motion is different: when on back, affected side moves with little resistance to the foot beside the head (other side shows resistance and less flexibility).
Left knee (not hoc) seems to be swollen in 'hamstring' area, more so than other side.

Looks like perosis in some ways, but it's not hock joint. bird is otherwise healthy but can't get around. other leg is questionable but seems to move more normally when I work with it.

This bird was showing this 2 weeks ago with inverted hock joints, then "healed", and is now back in the isolation station.

I would also post on the turkey forum (scroll down the page under the Forum heading above.) I know little about turkeys, but meat birds do suffer from leg bone deformities (varus, valgus, and twisted leg deformities, tibial dyschondroplasia and others.)

I would also post on the turkey forum (scroll down the page under the Forum heading above.) I know little about turkeys, but meat birds do suffer from leg bone deformities (varus, valgus, and twisted leg deformities, tibial dyschondroplasia and others.)
thanks I definitely will! I'd hate to lose this lil guy.

I posted over there as recommended. thank you

@R2elk is good with turkeys, but there are many others. Human vitamin B complex is something I usually recommend to use daily in case of riboflavin or other B vitamin deficiency. Give 1/2 tablet daily crushed in a bit of feed and add a bit of water or oil to the feed.

@R2elk is good with turkeys, but there are many others. Human vitamin B complex is something I usually recommend to use daily in case of riboflavin or other B vitamin deficiency. Give 1/2 tablet daily crushed in a bit of feed and add a bit of water or oil to the feed.
thanks. I feel like it's a muscle tear or ligament in the knee. I posted pics in the Turkey forum to no avail. mystery. one thigh is very swollen on the affected leg.

Sorry that you got few answers. I hope that you can fix him. Leg issues are always hard to deal with. Chicken slings may help get him up off the ground to rest the leg, and help him eat and drink. Here is a thread about the slings with good pictures in posts 5, 11, and 12 with a video:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
thanks. I tried slinging them and it was a mess. I think I've identified its a strained/torn muscle or tendon. I'm giving it a lot of physical therapy and we'll see!!

Back
Top Bottom