10wk Marans chick can't walk - possible Vit B deficiency??

chyler79

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 22, 2013
Here's the info:
1) Cuckoo Marans chick, 10 weeks, I think she's lost weight in the last week - feels lighter than other chicks and she used to be the biggest.
2) She almost can't walk at all now. She sits most of the time, and often her legs stick forward instead of sitting up under her. When she does walk she is extremely unstable and usually only makes it a few steps and then falls. Last couple of days she even seems to have trouble sitting upright - uses her wings to steady herself.
3) I got back from a vacation 8 days ago and she had a "limp" when I got back and it has steadily declined since then.
4) My 3 other chicks are all doing spectacular, no signs at all.
5) No signs of trauma, legs look fine, no blood.
6) Nothing has changed in the environment. FYI, chicks were all vacc for Mareks.
7) She is eating and drinking, although today I don't think she could get to the water, so I moved her to her own enclosure with low food and water. She's eating a supplemented Chick Starter.
8) Her poop looks totally normal and is of a good consistency.
9) I've been giving 1/2 tablet Vit B supplement crushed in water via dropper twice a day, but it's hard to say exactly how much actually goes in her.
10 ) I hope to treat her myself, but would consult a vet if really necessary.
11) Bedding is white shavings, as rec by breeder. Sprinkled DE underneath.

I'm hoping to find a dose for the Vit B and the best method of delivery, since she doesn't enjoy the dropper and I'm not sure it's really efficient.

And of course, if you think it's not Vit B, please post ideas!!

You should start her on the vitamins but I would also tape her legs together and in a way to keep them from slipping out from under her like theyve been doing. Try treating her in a way that some people treat chickens that have spraddle leg. Her legs will begin to heal in this way and it will help with the walking!

@casportpony Do you think the vaccine could have failed when it was administered. Maybe the injected it wrong, bad vaccine?
They can still get Marek's even though they have been vaccinated... Are you 100% sure that she was vaccinated? Many feed stores, like Tractor Supply, will say that they were vaccinated when in fact they were not.

If I were you I would research other diseases that cause the same symptoms and treat for those.

-Kathy

Last edited:
You should start her on the vitamins but I would also tape her legs together and in a way to keep them from slipping out from under her like theyve been doing. Try treating her in a way that some people treat chickens that have spraddle leg. Her legs will begin to heal in this way and it will help with the walking!

Thanks for your help. I got a liquid B Vit supplement today and she is actually taking that better. I am 99.9% sure she was vaccinated, I got her from a well-known local chicken breeder. How do I tape her legs together? Won't that make it harder for her to get around at all? I will look for info on spraddle leg treatment online and see if I can figure it out. :)

Thanks for your help. I got a liquid B Vit supplement today and she is actually taking that better. I am 99.9% sure she was vaccinated, I got her from a well-known local chicken breeder. How do I tape her legs together? Won't that make it harder for her to get around at all? I will look for info on spraddle leg treatment online and see if I can figure it out. :)
Call and double check, it's usually just hatcheries that vaccinate, and they charge extra for that. I would not tie her legs together, she's too old for that, but if you want to make her more comfy, make a sling for her.

More pictures here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...2MMLwoAS4yYLwBg&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1390&bih=898

-Kathy

You should also get yourself a kitchen or postal scale and start weighing her at the same time every morning. She's 10 weeks old, so she should be gaining about 10-20 grams a day.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps046
Table 2.
Example of target body weights during the rearing of replacement pullets.

Body weight
(Pounds)

(Grams)

-Kathy

Thanks so much! I will see if I can figure out a sling today. I've been separating her from the others during the day so she can have her own food and water, but putting her back in the coop with the others at night (so they don't forget about her, and also so they can all share the heat lamp). She is still taking the Vit B OK, and I've also put it in her water. Anyone have a guess on how long before I should start seeing improvement? Also, about weighing her, what do I do if she's not gaining or is losing weight?

Finally, I heard Brewer's Yeast is a good source of B, should I add that to her feed? And if she recovers, should I supplement her feed with BY for the rest of her life, or a B supp of some kind?

Thanks again everyone for the advice. She is the same, but is bright and eating/drinking well. Poor Sherman!

I'm not saying it is Marek's, but here is what the neuro form can look like:
Source - http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/

-Kathy

Kathy, I am sure they were vaccinated. And Sherman's legs don't stick out like those photos, they are just more forward than is normal. I also noticed today that her right leg is FAR worse than her left, it crosses over and her little foot doesn't curl around things at all (the left one kind of does).

Back
Top Bottom