10x10 run,when it rains it stinks

2txmedics

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Manvel Texas
Ok, there has to be a better way...I have sand in there, so that my girls can dust in it...softer on there feet, and helps when dry with poop....I also wet it down daily, since I live in Texas and it gets hot, I wet it and then I grab a Hoe and turn the dirt over, and they love it!!! They run out wanting to do the Moon walk dance...They love it so much they follow my Hoe and I feel like Im gonna hit one on the head!!!!

The run is wonderful then, its when it rains...IT STINKS!!!! and I mean bad, and dirty...How can I get rid of this smell? DH said put lime on it but not alot as it dries up and becomes slick and dry hard...There has to be a better way....

I have one roo and 8 ladies...attached to that I have. A nice size coop. Can see it if u click on MY BEAUTIFUL BABIES

Last edited:
I agree with your dh, before the next wet down add a good layer of pulverized lime. The water will help force it into the ground to stabilize the odor and bacteria that is building up. We use it in our runs just before a good rainfall on occasion to keep things sanitized.

If you're able to keep them off of it for a week or so, you can use hydrated lime. But this will burn their feet, so they must stay off it or you need to till it into the soil.

i have put tree bark in mine, it helped until we got a hard rain this week, i know folks that got gravel, put it down, then put bark on that. I think i'll get some stall dry and try it-

But if I put lime it will make the floor hard? I want them to have there floor with soft sand...and like the levels its at

I'm guessing you must have a drainage problem since you are getting it after the rain. There are a few things that could help... one is build it up so the rian runs off OR maybe you could tarp the run so very littl water come in?

There is a product called Sweet PDZ I use which was designed for horse stalls but can be used for all other animals. They have a website sweetpdz.com and in the FAQ which says
"Chickens have a lot of benefits, but they are by no means the neatest of barnyard animals. In fact their coops, hen houses and pens can get really stinky. Sweet PDZ is the answer to your smelly, dropping filled coops. Sprinkle Sweet PDZ liberally where the birds make their mess. Reapply regularly on the most frequently used roosting areas, and you’ll be well on your way to a healthy, safe and pleasant smelling chicken house. Sweet PDZ also makes it much easier to remove the droppings when cleaning out the chicken’s house. As an added benefit Granular Sweet PDZ can be safely eaten by the birds and used by them to grind their food. Clean smelling chickens = healthy chickens."

Wow, thanks France....

as to the flooding problem...my whole property is on a low land...area....I live on 4 acres and the whole place is like this, where we put the coop was the best part of the land...
roll.png

and when I say flooding I mean on a reg rain day not so bad, but on a heavy rain day...water to my ankle tops...and on storming days,..where it rains strong and long...water to my knees almost

Back
Top Bottom