11 + 1 = A Dozen: How to Integrate Older Birds?

AppleMomma65

Songster
Mar 16, 2020
Spooner, WI
My Coop
My Coop
I have 11 chickens that are a year old and all are laying. My friend needs to split her flock and has asked if I wanted one to make my flock an even 12 (I can have up to 12 as per my city ordinance). I want to do this but am very nervous. My chickens are all quite friendly to me and all get along pretty well with each other (yes, the occasional squawk but nothing major). This "new" chicken is also about a year old (started laying this fall) and comes from a fairly "wild" flock (i.e., free range; auto door to let themselves out and put themselves in coop at night, etc.). I'm positive she'd have a better life here but ...

Am I potentially playing with fire here by integrating? My chickens free-range during day. How do I integrate this new chicken so they can get used to her if I have to keep her in a crate? Crate on floor of coop while they roost? All day? For how long? I could possibly modify the coop and put a "fence" for the newbie but she would have her own food and water. What should I expect? Thoughts?

I'm not an expert at integration, but you might want to do a two-stage or 3-stage integration. Everything I've read suggests that dumping a lone bird into an established flock won't end well. :(

After quarantine, you could set her up in a see-don't touch situation then add 1-2 of your most docile birds to her enclosure so that she can have a buddy or two.

Then you could let them join the main flock or add another couple birds to her flock so that there will be more equal numbers when you join the whole group together.

I would make sure she does not have any illness before you put her in. Keep her away from your birds for about 4 days to a week. Then put her on the roost with the others in the dark of night. They should peck a little (Pecking order) but otherwise this should keep a bloody brawl.
Oh - Chicken funk I had not thought of. So When you say “keep away” do you mean SOLO , as in zero other birds around? Like, keep her on my porch or something?

I'm not an expert at integration, but you might want to do a two-stage or 3-stage integration. Everything I've read suggests that dumping a lone bird into an established flock won't end well. :(

After quarantine, you could set her up in a see-don't touch situation then add 1-2 of your most docile birds to her enclosure so that she can have a buddy or two.

Then you could let them join the main flock or add another couple birds to her flock so that there will be more equal numbers when you join the whole group together.
I like this idea but my birds free range and it’ll be a bloody shouting match for them to want to be out wandering ... I will think on this more how to do this.

I would say “no thanks. I have 11 chickens now and I don't want to risk that the flock dynamics change because of 1 new chicken. “ Keep in mind that a (latent) disease can do a lot of harm. A serious quarantine should be about 3 weeks.

Wanting to help a friend or wanting one more chicken is a nice idea but not worth the risk imho.

Integrating a single bird is probably the hardest form of integration, unless it's a rooster to a flock of hens.

As far as quarantine, true biological quarantine is about 30 days, with the new addition kept completely separate from the flock (100', or a separate building, separate location, etc.) Up to you if you want to do that or take the risk of skipping it.

After quarantine you're looking at maybe a week or two of look but don't touch.

Personally I'd pass on this bird and wait to grow your flock until further on down the line, when hens have declined in laying or passed on, and at that time you can add enough chicks to hit your limit of 12. That'll also help refresh your egg production.

Integrating a single bird is probably the hardest form of integration, unless it's a rooster to a flock of hens.

As far as quarantine, true biological quarantine is about 30 days, with the new addition kept completely separate from the flock (100', or a separate building, separate location, etc.) Up to you if you want to do that or take the risk of skipping it.

After quarantine you're looking at maybe a week or two of look but don't touch.

Personally I'd pass on this bird and wait to grow your flock until further on down the line, when hens have declined in laying or passed on, and at that time you can add enough chicks to hit your limit of 12. That'll also help refresh your egg production.
@rosemarythyme @BDutch @3KillerBs - thank you. I've thought about this a bit more and told her I'm going to have to pass. I know chickens are just chickens but my flock is so cool - and really, they are my pets (I know, eye roll) - that I just would hate to mess that dynamic up regardless of how much time it would take to quarantine or integrate safely. I appreciate the insight.

Back
Top Bottom