11 chickens missing, 2 dead

Quote:
I'm not a husband, but I will stand up for him. If she didn't ask him to, he isn't going to do it. It's a guy thing. I always try to be precise. Because my husband doesn't lock up like I do. Ur has no idea who belongs where. So don't bash him. Maybe he didn't know she was going to be late.

That's the difference in people. My wife has a number of things going on around here. When she goes off on a trip are whatever I ask what needs to be done with the flowers, watering and such. When I'm gone she takes over, that's the way we are. We have our place here together with shared chores. The chickens are not her thing at all. But because they're here, she takes on the responsibility of their care if I'm gone or should be late. That includes locking them in at night. That's just the way "we" are. Sure is nice that way.
smile.png
So you just may be right. But I have a tendency to judge others by the way we do things here.
smile.png
I find it so difficult to believe other husbands can be that irresponsible. Even to the point of allowing an animal to die.
sad.png

Three of the missing showed back up this morning. Walking around in the daylight did show lots more feathers, but no chicken bodies other than the two original so 8 are still unaccounted for. I don't blame my husband at all, I completely blame myself. I knew I was late and could have called to ask him to close up the coop but just assumed they would be fine since we've never had a problem before. Lesson learned the hard way!

Quote:
Don't be so hard on yourself. I know that is easier said than done but don't pay any attention to comments about what should have been done. You know now what to do next time and that is all that matters. I don't think there is anyone who has never made a mistake or two when raising chickens.
I am so happy to hear that some came home. There are some of the nicest people in the world on this site and I am so thankful to have them around when I make an error or need advice. I understand that some people forget that they were once beginners when they got their first chickens. Please don't loose hope in the fact that this site really is full of people who care. I know some sound harsh but I can't help but believe they are coming from a good place.

I appreciate all the concern and thoughfulness! I'm sure any harsh comments were made out of the care of the hens so I take nothing personal. On a different note, I think I solved the mystery. My dog was barking this afternoon so I went to investigate. There were two large hound dogs in the backyard sniffing around. I had never seen them before and my dog clearly didn't scare them off. They ran when they saw me. Hopefully they won't be back, but no more free ranging for now.

So sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

I'm glad a few returned home. Maybe a few stragglers will come back too. One of our neighbors had a raccoon attack and the one hen that survived wandered four houses away, and took up with their old, blind dog. She'd roost up in a tree, but in the day hang out with Buck the dog. The kids started calling them Buck and Cluck. We finally adopted her when we built our coop. So I'll keep my fingers crossed that there are more survivors out there and that they find their way back home too
fl.gif

Oh geeze....I'm so sorry for such a terrible loss. When we bought this house it has a really nice big coop already and the previous owner said that all her chickens had been eaten by a raccoon. Well, the eves had no wire so DUH! We sealed it up really good and I do lock them in every night. I fear the raccoons because one that I saw (my bizarre neighbor feeds them on her porch) was darn near as big as my heeler! My husband saw it another night. Both times in our driveway. It had to weight at least 40-45 pounds! We moved here from Wisconsin and have NEVER seen a raccon that big and fat and arrogant.

You might be able to figure out who's hounds those are....maybe someone posted a lost dog notice or something.

I'm glad you updated, I have been thinking about you and your hens. I'm glad three came back, I had stray dogs get some on my hens on Thanksgiving day. It happens. I wish I would have started with a larger number when I began back in August. I didn't know chicken math then, but now I will be getting extra chicks when I am counting on my weekly egg harvest. I'm behind now and it seems like forever before they begin laying.

Sorry for the loss of your hens, it's a hard lesson to learn.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom