11 Day old chick and dog attack

Rubyfalls

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 29, 2013
Hi everyone,

I hate for this to be my first post, but we had a mishap today. The dogs got into the room in the house where we have the young chicks sitting. We aren't sure of exactly how things went down, but we saw one of the dogs with a chick in his mouth. It could not have been more than 5 minutes. We got the chick from him, but now the chick won't stand up. He only lays and occasionally spreads his wings. He keeps closing his eyes, which seems like an appropriate response to trauma. I checked his body over. No open wounds. I can't seem to find where his legs might be broken, and neither leg responds to touch at all. My best guess is that there was a spinal injury. I am hoping, though, that it is just shock.

We gave him a little sugar water and he is seperated from the other chicks.

Does anyone have a suggestion or idea on what we can do? We are gonna keep a close eye on him and try to get him some fresh veggies.

Thank you for any help.

it does sound like shock...Just give him dark quiet with food and water available...and hope for the best. I mean if there don't seem to be injuries then there is nothing to bandage and care for. Hopefully he is alright...There is also a chance of internal issues, so just watch it and I hope everything turns out alright.

hugs.gif
keep him WARM if hes in shock he must be kept warm and in a quit area. after the shock is taken care of you can access his injury if any. hopefully its just shock. perhaps hes bruised also. but treat for SHOCK first!!! then you can get an idea of what happened to him.please keep me posted. best of luck!!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the quick responses. We are going to get the electrolyte solution tomorrow when TSC opens. He seems a little more lively, and has moved one leg a little, but I guess I can't expect much in only a half hour.

sounds like shock and stress. I had a bantam that was attacked by a dog and she had no injuries but acted like that for a whole day. The next day she was just fine and walking about. Just keep your chick calm, warm, and quiet.

Update: I looked him over again really well and noticed something different. His right side (same side as the leg that he won't use) is bloated on his stomach area. It seems very soft to the touch and has a slight reddish hue to it. I would think that internal bleeding would have probably been fatal by now. Could this be from not pooping? I see no poop in the bottom of his crate and he won't move, so I am guessing he does not want to poop.

I have a puggle and a Boston. They used a chick like a chew toy. I saved the chick from them and thought for sure it would die. I kept him warm, on a soft fluffy towel, water, egg yolk that I had to help him with... He was bruised and I thought, he's a goner. 3 days after, I gave him back to his mama. Chicks can be amazingly realising. Keep him warm, keep him hydrated. Use raw egg yolk if you have too to get the protein in him. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom