11 week old EE loosing feathers

Margy1

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 30, 2014
We have four 11 week old EE. They are in a coop large enough for them, i'm not sure of the exact measurements (my boyfriend built it) but it is definitely big enough. It seems like there are a lot of feathers inside of the coop/run. I watched one clean herself and it looked like she pulled a feather out. It isn't so many that it is noticeable they are loosing feathers (they look fully feathered).
Is this normal? Is there something we are doing wrong and need to fix? Any suggestions / advice is appreciated! Thank You!!!
bow.gif

Juveniles go through a series of "soft molts" as they grow into their mature plumage - it sounds like this may well be what is happening with your flock.....but I would still recommend giving them a thorough once over to eliminate the possibility of infestation by external parasites.

We are new to chickens, can you give me an idea of what I should look for as an external parasite? Just anything that looks like it shouldn't be there?

We are new to chickens, can you give me an idea of what I should look for as an external parasite? Just anything that looks like it shouldn't be there?
Pretty much...anything that moves....or egg clusters at the base of the feathers
Part the feathers well so you can see down to the skin; check around the vent, head/neck and under the wings.

Some bugs(northern fowl mite) only come onto the chickens at night to feed so taking them off the roost, when they are more docile anyway, is a good time to check. I wear a headlight and keep from shining it in their faces or cover their head with a towel, much easier to do with someone else to help hold them.

You might see pin feathers, little 'spikes' that are the new feathers growing in. These can be pretty sensitive so handle them carefully.

We gave them a good look over they all look nice and clean no bugs anywhere! :) I guess its just their natural soft molt getting in their big girl feathers! They all behaved surprisingly well too with being picked up and checked out!

Back
Top Bottom